Leave abbey site alone
WE were born and educated in Barking, and married there. We find it criminally perverse that Barking Council are prepared, in organising an almost secretly arranged competition among designers who know little or nothing about the town, to produce a sche
WE were born and educated in Barking, and married there.
We find it criminally perverse that Barking Council are prepared, in organising an almost secretly arranged competition among designers who know little or nothing about the town, to produce a scheme that includes appalling changes to the wonderful historically-formed site of Barking Abbey. So much for over 1,300 years of history.
Just who are these people who have so cunningly contrived to give away a major part of our heritage and much of what this town attributes to its existence?
One wonders just what was the remit given to competitors in this appalling assault on a perfectly beautiful laid out site and all the enthralling archaeological work that contributes to it.
In view of the execrable submission pictured in the Post (November 4, 'Burial sites and all'), can this really be allowed to happen?
Are councillors and officers to be permitted to get away with this uncivilised act?
- 1 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
- 2 Council tax rebates totalling £2m remain unclaimed, authority says
- 3 London among areas where drought is declared
- 4 Dagenham fire families receive thousands in donated cash
- 5 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 6 Liz Truss visits Dagenham youth centre on Tory leadership campaign trail
- 7 'An incredible privilege’: Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas on 21 years of service
- 8 ‘It’s like a warzone’: Extent of damage to Ballards Road homes on show following blaze which destroyed 14 houses
- 9 Campaign launched for young people anxious about A Level and GSCE results
- 10 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
It should be stopped in its tracks now and the abbey site taken entirely out of this ghastly affair.
South Park Drive