Axe Street car park in Barking to temporarily close
Axe Street Car Park in Barking will temporarily close while building works are carried out on a new leisure centre.
The car park will close completely on July 22, and then re-open in a reduced form five weeks later.
Once re-open there will be around 13 bays for the duration of building works, with completion expected around autumn next year. Most will be reserved for blue badge holders.
The closure was supposed to happen in the spring, but archaeological works on the site took longer than expected.
There is alternative car parking in London Road multi-storey car park, which is around 400 yards away.
You may also want to watch:
There is also pay and display parking available in nearby streets including St Paul’s, London Road, Abbey Road, George Street, Wakering Road and Linton Road. Some new bays are also being installed in nearby Clockhouse Avenue.
The new Asda development being built in London Road will also create additional car parking capacity
- 1 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 3 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 6 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 7 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
- 10 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
The new Barking Leisure centre is a replacement for Goresbrook and Abbey Leisure Centres. Facilities will include a 25 metre swimming pool, learner pool, 120 station fitness gym, health spa and three workout studios.
Goresbrook closed last year and Abbey will shut in the autumn next year to coincide with the opening of the new leisure centre.