Axe Street car park in Barking to temporarily close
Axe Street Car Park in Barking will temporarily close while building works are carried out on a new leisure centre.
The car park will close completely on July 22, and then re-open in a reduced form five weeks later.
Once re-open there will be around 13 bays for the duration of building works, with completion expected around autumn next year. Most will be reserved for blue badge holders.
The closure was supposed to happen in the spring, but archaeological works on the site took longer than expected.
There is alternative car parking in London Road multi-storey car park, which is around 400 yards away.
There is also pay and display parking available in nearby streets including St Paul’s, London Road, Abbey Road, George Street, Wakering Road and Linton Road. Some new bays are also being installed in nearby Clockhouse Avenue.
The new Asda development being built in London Road will also create additional car parking capacity
- 1 Dagenham pub to host inaugural local Christmas fair
- 2 Barking Market extended to 'ease antisocial behaviour'
- 3 Tributes to former Hornchurch, Dagenham, Wealdstone and Hendon forward Marvin Morgan
- 4 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 5 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 6 'It's the right time': Dame Margaret Hodge on not seeking re-election
- 7 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 8 Homophobia ruled out for jury in Stephen Port victims’ inquests
- 9 Dagenham hoping to get players back from injury during break
- 10 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
The new Barking Leisure centre is a replacement for Goresbrook and Abbey Leisure Centres. Facilities will include a 25 metre swimming pool, learner pool, 120 station fitness gym, health spa and three workout studios.
Goresbrook closed last year and Abbey will shut in the autumn next year to coincide with the opening of the new leisure centre.