Barking and Dagenham College catering assistant recognised in honours list
A devoted catering assistant has been recognised in the New Year Honours List.
Mum-of-four Sandra Coats, 57, has worked in the refectory of Barking and Dagenham College in Dagenham Road, Rush Green, for six years.
Barking and Dagenham College said Sandra had been likened to an “unsung hero” who worked beyond her contracted hours and helped students with learning disabilities.
The former dinner lady is to receive a British Empire Medal for services to further education.
The Romford mum said: “It’s a very demanding job but I absolutely love it.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m so delighted and overwhelmed.
“I couldn’t do what I do without the support of my family, especially my husband Rob and my daughter Michelle.”
- 1 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 2 Topping out milestone for Barking tower block development
- 3 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 4 Budding entrepreneur from Dagenham wins business pitch competition
- 5 Council warns residents after reports of rogue traders in Dagenham
- 6 Fairlop woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 7 Barking MP joins schoolchildren for managing money lesson
- 8 Steve Allen: 'Oxford students should vote on Magdalen pronunciation instead'
- 9 Dagenham set to announce retained list with three already departing
- 10 Barking man arrested after three men injured in Southend
A college spokesman added: “It’s Sandra’s patience, kindness and willingness to go that extra mile every day that attracts praise from staff and students alike.”