Barking and Dagenham College catering assistant recognised in honours list
A devoted catering assistant has been recognised in the New Year Honours List.
Mum-of-four Sandra Coats, 57, has worked in the refectory of Barking and Dagenham College in Dagenham Road, Rush Green, for six years.
Barking and Dagenham College said Sandra had been likened to an “unsung hero” who worked beyond her contracted hours and helped students with learning disabilities.
The former dinner lady is to receive a British Empire Medal for services to further education.
The Romford mum said: “It’s a very demanding job but I absolutely love it.
“I’m so delighted and overwhelmed.
“I couldn’t do what I do without the support of my family, especially my husband Rob and my daughter Michelle.”
- 1 Dagenham man in court over Zara Aleena murder
- 2 Jailed: Hornchurch man found with weapons in Dagenham
- 3 More than 300 homes finished at Beam Park as council leader visits
- 4 Man taken to hospital after fight reported on Heathway in Dagenham
- 5 Census 2021: What has changed in your borough since 2011?
- 6 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 7 Man in critical condition after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 8 Council U-turn on plan to 'decommission' supported housing scheme
- 9 Firefighter retires after cancer diagnosis
- 10 'A joy to us all': Zara Aleena's family pay tribute after 'sickening' death
A college spokesman added: “It’s Sandra’s patience, kindness and willingness to go that extra mile every day that attracts praise from staff and students alike.”