Barking and Dagenham Council blows £10k on blooms over five years
- Credit: Archant
Wasteful spending “would not be repeated today” claimed the council after it was revealed to have spent £10,000 on flowers over five years.
Freedom of Information requests made by Channel 4’s Dispatches programme, which aired on Monday evening, showed Barking and Dagenham Council had run up the bill on blooms from 2007 to 2012.
But the local authority was far from the worst offender as the TV show revealed council chiefs across the country had spent a total of roughly £34million on perks and foreign trips.
A Barking and Dagenham Council spokesman said: “This is historic expenditure on hospitality, authorised by officers who left the council quite some time ago — in some cases going back four or five years.
“As a result, it is not possible to identify precisely what it relates to.
You may also want to watch:
“What we can say with certainty is that such expenditure would not be repeated today. For example we now share a Chief Executive with Thurrock Council which has brought about significant savings to both authorities.”
- 1 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
- 2 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 3 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 4 Patrols target antisocial behaviour in Barking town centre
- 5 Mum of girl with rare genetic condition vows to keep raising awareness
- 6 What is changing when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 7 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 8 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
- 9 London elections 2021: City and East candidates make case for your vote
- 10 Doctors 'concerned' patients' health will suffer due to non-Covid backlog