Barking and Dagenham Council leader condemns Woolwich attack
- Credit: PA
After a bloody attack on a man in Woolwich by two religious fanatics yesterday, Barking and Dagenham council leader Liam Smith has spoken out to condemn their actions as “vile and abhorrent”.
Speaking in the wake of the attack that left one man dead and two others shot by armed police before being arrested, Cllr Smith said the actions of the attackers “must and should be condemned in the strongest possible terms”.
He added that the local community was “enriched by the different cultures that create it” and, echoing the sentiments of Prime Minister David Cameron, said terrorist attacks would “never succeed”.
Witnesses to yesterday’s attack claimed to see two men brandishing weapons at the scene of the incident in John Wilson Street, south east London.
Footage was also shown of a man, whose hands were covered in blood, making a series of religious statements in relation to the attack.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Smith, who is cabinet member for the Armed Forces, said: “Our first thoughts must be with the victim of this despicable attack. We also send our condolences to his family, friends and to his regiment all of whom must feel utterly devastated.
“This was a vile and abhorrent attack on our democratic way of life.
- 1 School pupil among Indian Covid variant cases in Barking and Dagenham
- 2 Jailed: Dagenham car burglar after 100mph pursuit in Romford
- 3 Barking man charged with sexual assault during crackdown on violence against women
- 4 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 5 Barking Indian restaurant owner fined over waste disposal
- 6 Love Island promo filming in Barking 'a great opportunity' for college students
- 7 West Ham Women bow out of FA Cup at Manchester City
- 8 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 9 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 10 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
“To murder a soldier in support of a perverted political cause in this way strikes at the very heart of so much that is good about our great nation.
“It must and should be condemned in the strongest possible terms. Our service people reflect all that is best about our country - they serve to protect us and deserve our thanks and tribute.
“We think about all of those in our armed forces who must feel so much sorrow today. We will stand by them always.
“Our community is enriched by the different cultures that create it. Terrorist attacks such as this will never succeed. We will never yield in our determination to cherish and defend how we live together.”