Barking and Dagenham Council making £60k a year from film shoots
- Credit: Archant
Barking and Dagenham Council made £100,000 through its film office between April 2014 and November 2015 – and some believe that the borough could now benefit from film tourism.
A Freedom of Information request submitted by the Post revealed BBC Eleventh Hour Productions spent £26,291 to film upcoming Anthony Horowitz TV drama New Blood in July and September 2015.
Fantasy-horror thriller Patient Zero – set for release in September – generated £10,710 for the council through filming at londoneast-uk, in Rainham Road South, while a Cheryl Fernandez-Versini photoshoot for InStyle at Dagenham Civic Centre cost Location Partnership £3,000.
And the borough’s corporate marketing and film officer Lisa Dee, 31, insists this is just the beginning.
“It’s not just about the money, it’s about the kudos it brings,” she said. “Film tourism can be very exciting and when people start to realise films and TV programmes are being filmed here, I can’t see why we won’t have film tours in the future.”
You may also want to watch:
A segment of the 2014 Alan Carr New Year’s special filmed at Barking Police Station and an episode of magician Troy’s E4 series filmed at Barking market are among a host of things shot in the borough.
A council spokesman said: “The film office works with local businesses to promote locations in the borough. It works with other council services like licensing, legal, parking and highways, making us an attractive option to production companies.”
- 1 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 2 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 3 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 6 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 7 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
- 10 Man shot in the face in Dagenham