Barking and Dagenham Council making £60k a year from film shoots
- Credit: Archant
Barking and Dagenham Council made £100,000 through its film office between April 2014 and November 2015 – and some believe that the borough could now benefit from film tourism.
A Freedom of Information request submitted by the Post revealed BBC Eleventh Hour Productions spent £26,291 to film upcoming Anthony Horowitz TV drama New Blood in July and September 2015.
Fantasy-horror thriller Patient Zero – set for release in September – generated £10,710 for the council through filming at londoneast-uk, in Rainham Road South, while a Cheryl Fernandez-Versini photoshoot for InStyle at Dagenham Civic Centre cost Location Partnership £3,000.
And the borough’s corporate marketing and film officer Lisa Dee, 31, insists this is just the beginning.
“It’s not just about the money, it’s about the kudos it brings,” she said. “Film tourism can be very exciting and when people start to realise films and TV programmes are being filmed here, I can’t see why we won’t have film tours in the future.”
You may also want to watch:
A segment of the 2014 Alan Carr New Year’s special filmed at Barking Police Station and an episode of magician Troy’s E4 series filmed at Barking market are among a host of things shot in the borough.
A council spokesman said: “The film office works with local businesses to promote locations in the borough. It works with other council services like licensing, legal, parking and highways, making us an attractive option to production companies.”
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 3 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 4 Barking father's car stolen from driveway
- 5 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 6 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 7 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 8 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 9 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 10 Letter: Climate change and the floods