Barking and Dagenham councillor John White dies
- Credit: Archant
Barking town hall is flying its flag at half mast as a mark of respect to long serving councillor John White, who passed away on Friday.
Mr White was a councillor who represented Whalebone ward since 2006. He had previously served as the borough’s cabinet member for children’s services and cabinet member for school improvement.
Leader of Barking and Dagenham Council, Darren Rodwell, paid tribute to the councillor.
He said: “John worked tirelessly for the residents of Whalebone ward and he will surely be missed.
“Our thoughts are with John’s family at this difficult time.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr White was a “champion of all things education” according to a council spokesman and he worked hard to ensure that the Chadwell Heath Community Centre, formerly the Robert Jeyes Library, is now a resource for the whole community.
Funeral arrangements will be announced when details are available.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
- 10 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years