Barking and Dagenham leader grows ‘tache for charity
Council chief Liam Smith is growing a moustache to help fund research into the causes of prostate cancer.
The Barking and Dagenham leader has joined a UK fundraising drive set up to raise awareness of men’s health, including prostate and testicular cancer.
He said: “In support of the campaign, I’ll be growing a moustache through November.
“There’ll be no more shaving in front of the bathroom mirror for the 30 days – and as the wind gets colder, my top lip will be all the warmer. If I can also raise some money for a fantastic cause, everyone’s a winner.”
The Labour council leader sported a beard for years but was clean-shaven until the end of last month.
You may also want to watch:
The initiative he is taking part in is known as Movember, a combination of the slang word “mo” for moustache and “November”.
To donate funds to the Movember charity, log on to movember.com.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
- 10 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
If you are taking part in the fundraiser, send us your before and after pictures at firstname.lastname@example.org.