Barking and Dagenham leader grows ‘tache for charity
Council chief Liam Smith is growing a moustache to help fund research into the causes of prostate cancer.
The Barking and Dagenham leader has joined a UK fundraising drive set up to raise awareness of men’s health, including prostate and testicular cancer.
He said: “In support of the campaign, I’ll be growing a moustache through November.
“There’ll be no more shaving in front of the bathroom mirror for the 30 days – and as the wind gets colder, my top lip will be all the warmer. If I can also raise some money for a fantastic cause, everyone’s a winner.”
The Labour council leader sported a beard for years but was clean-shaven until the end of last month.
You may also want to watch:
The initiative he is taking part in is known as Movember, a combination of the slang word “mo” for moustache and “November”.
To donate funds to the Movember charity, log on to movember.com.
- 1 Tributes to 'much-loved' volunteer with a passion for Dagenham history
- 2 Tot with cancer enjoys 'brilliant' fun day outside home in Dagenham
- 3 London mayoral candidate 'fined' after digital campaign bus visits Dagenham
- 4 Is the Becontree estate in Barking and Dagenham really a Covid hotspot?
- 5 Padnall Lake, teachers in pandemic, hearing loss and Covid insurance
- 6 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 7 Rapid Covid-19 test site for people without symptoms open in Dagenham
- 8 Hundreds of shops found not complying with Covid rules
- 9 Man recalled to prison after persistent anti-social behaviour in Dagenham cul de sac
- 10 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
If you are taking part in the fundraiser, send us your before and after pictures at email@example.com.