Barking and Dagenham leader grows ‘tache for charity
Council chief Liam Smith is growing a moustache to help fund research into the causes of prostate cancer.
The Barking and Dagenham leader has joined a UK fundraising drive set up to raise awareness of men’s health, including prostate and testicular cancer.
He said: “In support of the campaign, I’ll be growing a moustache through November.
“There’ll be no more shaving in front of the bathroom mirror for the 30 days – and as the wind gets colder, my top lip will be all the warmer. If I can also raise some money for a fantastic cause, everyone’s a winner.”
The Labour council leader sported a beard for years but was clean-shaven until the end of last month.
You may also want to watch:
The initiative he is taking part in is known as Movember, a combination of the slang word “mo” for moustache and “November”.
To donate funds to the Movember charity, log on to movember.com.
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 3 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 6 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 9 'Singling out developers to sort out the cladding scandal'
- 10 Column: Pride and trust continues to grow in Dagenham squad
If you are taking part in the fundraiser, send us your before and after pictures at email@example.com.