Barking and Dagenham leader grows ‘tache for charity
Council chief Liam Smith is growing a moustache to help fund research into the causes of prostate cancer.
The Barking and Dagenham leader has joined a UK fundraising drive set up to raise awareness of men’s health, including prostate and testicular cancer.
He said: “In support of the campaign, I’ll be growing a moustache through November.
“There’ll be no more shaving in front of the bathroom mirror for the 30 days – and as the wind gets colder, my top lip will be all the warmer. If I can also raise some money for a fantastic cause, everyone’s a winner.”
The Labour council leader sported a beard for years but was clean-shaven until the end of last month.
You may also want to watch:
The initiative he is taking part in is known as Movember, a combination of the slang word “mo” for moustache and “November”.
To donate funds to the Movember charity, log on to movember.com.
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 5 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Parkrun returns to east London: Where can you join in?
- 10 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
If you are taking part in the fundraiser, send us your before and after pictures at email@example.com.