Barking and Dagenham residents enjoy onion festival in Germany
Barking and Dagenham people celebrated the humble onion as they took part in fun-packed jaunt in Germany at the weekend.
The 13 residents went on a boat trip along the River Ruhr, ate continental food and some even had the chance to taste onion beer in Witten, west Germany.
The visit on Friday coincided with the annual onion festival, which celebrates the virtues of the vegetable throughout German towns.
The subsidised trip was organised to boost interest in Witten, the university town twinned with Barking and Dagenham.
Tony Richards, 76, of Barking and Dagenham Witten Club, joined the group, which included Mayor Tony Ramsay and his wife Jeanne Alexander.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Richards, of Wilmington Gardens, Barking, said: “Onion beer is not bad at all. I would recommend it.
“The group were really keen on the visit. We expect most of them will become members of the club. They got one hell of a weekend.”
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 3 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 6 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 7 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Barking and Dagenham goes two weeks without Covid-19 deaths
- 10 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder