Labour members to choose party’s next parliamentary candidate for Barking tonight
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Barking Labour members are set to choose the party’s next parliamentary candidate for the constituency tonight.
They'll cast their votes at Jo Richardson School.
Former Islington Council leader and current Barking MP Dame Margaret Hodge has won support from prominent Labour MP Jess Phillips and London's mayor Sadiq Khan.
She's fighting for the right to represent Labour after being "triggered" for reselection when she failed to secure support from two thirds of members in the constituency at the end of September.
She did, however, get a majority in that vote, according to a Barking Labour Party statement.
You may also want to watch:
The current MP is up against three challengers: Newham councillor Moniba Khan, Thames ward councillor Josie Channer and Abbey councillor Laila Butt.
- 1 Elderly woman dies after van collision in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 3 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 4 Barking father's car stolen from driveway
- 5 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 6 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 7 More than 150 attend official opening of 'fabulous' pocket park in Barking
- 8 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 9 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 10 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo