Labour members to choose party’s next parliamentary candidate for Barking tonight
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Barking Labour members are set to choose the party’s next parliamentary candidate for the constituency tonight.
They'll cast their votes at Jo Richardson School.
Former Islington Council leader and current Barking MP Dame Margaret Hodge has won support from prominent Labour MP Jess Phillips and London's mayor Sadiq Khan.
She's fighting for the right to represent Labour after being "triggered" for reselection when she failed to secure support from two thirds of members in the constituency at the end of September.
She did, however, get a majority in that vote, according to a Barking Labour Party statement.
You may also want to watch:
The current MP is up against three challengers: Newham councillor Moniba Khan, Thames ward councillor Josie Channer and Abbey councillor Laila Butt.
- 1 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 2 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 3 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 6 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 7 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
- 10 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations