Barking councillor to meet the Queen
Barking councillor Darren Rodwell, 41 has been invited to the Queen’s garden party in recognition of his community work.
It was also the 41-year-old’s commitment to serving the borough that managed to land him the once in a lifetime invite to Buckingham Palace on July 19.
Cllr Rodwell told the Post that he feels it’s a massive achievement and honour to be asked to go and is ecstatic but extremely nervous about the big day.
The Alibon ward councillor, who lives in Reede Road, said: “I was overjoyed when I got the call from my wife who had opened the letter. I told everyone in work and all my family”
When asked what he was going to say to the Queen, he said: “I’ll probably be to stage struck to even talk, and I haven’t really thought that far ahead yet ”
Darren’s wife will be his plus one and will accompany on the special trip and they both look forward to potentially meeting members of the royal family.
- 1 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election
- 2 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 3 Homophobia ruled out for jury in Stephen Port victims’ inquests
- 4 Travel: What to watch out for across Havering, Redbridge and Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 6 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 7 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 10 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?