Barking motorists attack parking chiefs over U-turn on CPZs
Motorists have criticised council chiefs after a fresh U-turn on the introduction of Controlled Parking Zones.
The Post reported last month Barking and Dagenham Council had decided to delay the introduction of parking charges in several streets of Lefltey Estate after residents threatened to boycott the fees.
But the Labour council has come under further criticism after parking bosses pledged to launch CPZs in other Barking streets, only to put off their introduction to “re-run” consultation exercises with motorists.
The council has also pledged to put on hold the planned extension of a one-hour zone to an all-day CPZ in other streets near Upney Station in Barking.
One reader from Harrow Road, Barking, branded the turnaround a “fiasco” after paying for a parking permit he is now having to get a refund for.
You may also want to watch:
“I am writing to express my annoyance at the fiasco surrounding permit parking in Harrow Road,” he told the Post.
“I question why I had to spend my money and time paying for something that 36 hours later was delayed.”
- 1 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 3 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 4 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 5 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 6 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 7 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 8 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 9 Humanist: 'Support bill to scrap archaic requirement for school worship'
- 10 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
Former lorry driver Terence Harding, 59, also complained about the council’s change of heart on the CPZs.
Mr Harding, of Devon Road, Barking, said: “It’s totally unnecessary. Parking has become a revenue, a tax to live in Barking and Dagenham.”
Mr Harding received a council letter advising him of the changes which could be interpreted as meaning motorists may have to pay a �5 cancellation fee to get refunds on their new permits, but the council insisted fees would not be taken.
A spokesman said: “We always try to take residents’ views into account when implementing controlled parking zones.
“Because of the strength of feeling in some areas, we have listened to residents’ views and decided to re-run the consultation in a number of streets.
“The offer of a refund applies to everyone who bought a permit for a street which was due to be implemented on August 1, but has now been put on hold.
“All of these residents should have received a letter with a refund form attached. No administration charge will be applied on refunds.”