Calls for ‘one community’ in Barking and Dagenham as Scotland rejects independence
- Credit: Photo: Arnaud Stephenson
Scotland’s decision to remain within the United Kingdom has seen calls for people to come together a little closer to home.
Following the majority vote against independence that was announced in Scotland this morning, Barking and Dagenham Council leader Cllr Darren Rodwell said he wanted to see the borough “move forward as one community”.
The call echoes the Labour councillor’s vision for the borough, which he laid out at a meeting on Wednesday, that looks to establish an ethos of “one borough” and “one community” among residents.
Welcoming the Scottish referendum result, he said it was “a triumph, not only for the people of Scotland but the entire country and a start of a new politics that puts the needs of local people first”.
He added: “It shows what can be achieved when people come together for the greater good of the whole community – something I am proud to champion for our borough.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Rodwell moved to raise the Saltire – the Scottish national flag – above Dagenham’s Civic Centre in the run up to yesterday’s referendum.
Next year the borough will celebrate its 50th anniversary as a part of Greater London.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 2 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 3 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 'Woke rubbish': Losing candidate on stir over 'unspellable' names comment
- 6 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 7 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 8 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 9 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 10 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night