Council flies flag for England in Rugby World Cup
Barking and Dagenham Council will fly the English flag with pride during the Rugby World Cup, as the national team try to bring the cup home for the first time since 2003.
The flag of St George will be hoisted from Dagenham Civic Centre and Barking Town Hall before England’s first game against Argentina on 10 September.
Lewis Moody’s team will also take on Scotland, Romania and Georgia in the group stages before hopefully making it through to the quarter finals and beyond. The tournament is being held in New Zealand.
Last time England won the Rugby World Cup, in 2003, the team featured Barking-born prop Jason Leonard, who played in every game. Jason was later awarded an OBE and the Freedom of Barking and Dagenham for his contribution to rugby.
Cllr Liam Smith, Leader of the Council, said: “I’m sure everyone remembers 2003 when the England rugby team lifted the world cup in Australia. And who could forget the sterling contribution from our very own Jason Leonard. By flying the flag we want to demonstrate our support for the team and show that everyone in Barking and Dagenham is right behind them.
You may also want to watch:
“Rugby is a great sport and this borough is lucky to have some excellent and well run clubs. Hopefully England can have a good run in the World Cup and that will encourage more people, especially youngsters, to get in touch with their local club and take up the game.”
- 1 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 2 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 3 Barking and Dagenham MPs react after 'horrific' stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 4 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 5 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 6 Becontree business celebrates 10 years of helping parties go with a swing
- 7 Thousands of 'illegal cigarettes' seized in Barking and Dagenham raids
- 8 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 9 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 10 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week