Council flies flag for England in Rugby World Cup
Barking and Dagenham Council will fly the English flag with pride during the Rugby World Cup, as the national team try to bring the cup home for the first time since 2003.
The flag of St George will be hoisted from Dagenham Civic Centre and Barking Town Hall before England’s first game against Argentina on 10 September.
Lewis Moody’s team will also take on Scotland, Romania and Georgia in the group stages before hopefully making it through to the quarter finals and beyond. The tournament is being held in New Zealand.
Last time England won the Rugby World Cup, in 2003, the team featured Barking-born prop Jason Leonard, who played in every game. Jason was later awarded an OBE and the Freedom of Barking and Dagenham for his contribution to rugby.
Cllr Liam Smith, Leader of the Council, said: “I’m sure everyone remembers 2003 when the England rugby team lifted the world cup in Australia. And who could forget the sterling contribution from our very own Jason Leonard. By flying the flag we want to demonstrate our support for the team and show that everyone in Barking and Dagenham is right behind them.
You may also want to watch:
“Rugby is a great sport and this borough is lucky to have some excellent and well run clubs. Hopefully England can have a good run in the World Cup and that will encourage more people, especially youngsters, to get in touch with their local club and take up the game.”
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 5 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Parkrun returns to east London: Where can you join in?
- 10 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street