Dagenham couple to appear on Tonight programme
A DAGENHAM couple will hit our TV screens this week to talk about buying a council house under the controversial Right to Buy scheme.
Barry and Shirley Watson, of Gale Street, feature in tomorrow’s Tonight on ITV, looking the issues facing the housing market and the nation’s obsession with home ownership.
The pensioners were interviewed about their experiences of buying a council property 25 years ago under the Right to Buy scheme, which has since been blamed for causing the borough’s severe shortage in social housing.
Barry, who with his wife paid 40 per cent of the market value of their home, told the POST: “We were asked if we were glad we took advantage of the scheme. I said I didn’t regret it.”
In 1979 the borough had 40,000 council properties, compared to 19,303 in April 2010
You may also want to watch:
Tonight airs at 7.30 tomorrow (October 21).
- 1 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 3 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 4 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 5 Dagenham boss McMahon 'can't wait' for test against big spenders Wrexham
- 6 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 7 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 8 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 9 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 10 Dagenham suffer first defeat away to Wrexham