Dagenham couple to appear on Tonight programme
A DAGENHAM couple will hit our TV screens this week to talk about buying a council house under the controversial Right to Buy scheme.
Barry and Shirley Watson, of Gale Street, feature in tomorrow’s Tonight on ITV, looking the issues facing the housing market and the nation’s obsession with home ownership.
The pensioners were interviewed about their experiences of buying a council property 25 years ago under the Right to Buy scheme, which has since been blamed for causing the borough’s severe shortage in social housing.
Barry, who with his wife paid 40 per cent of the market value of their home, told the POST: “We were asked if we were glad we took advantage of the scheme. I said I didn’t regret it.”
In 1979 the borough had 40,000 council properties, compared to 19,303 in April 2010
You may also want to watch:
Tonight airs at 7.30 tomorrow (October 21).
- 1 Fairlop woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 2 Queen's Birthday Honours: Badminton club founder gets BEM
- 3 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
- 4 Man in drink driving arrest as overturned car on A13 causes queues
- 5 Family endures 'horrific leaks' at Dagenham block of flats
- 6 Barking man arrested after three men injured in Southend
- 7 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald
- 8 Pensioner arrested after £4m suspected drugs seizure
- 9 Woman, 68, attacked in Dagenham
- 10 Jailed: Dagenham man who murdered 'gentle giant' in mistaken identity shooting