Dagenham library to close for good this week
A Dagenham library will close its doors for the final time on Saturday in a council bid to make savings.
Markyate Library, in Markyate Road, is the second library in the borough to shut this year, following the closure of Wantz Libary, in Rainham Road North in March.
It has not yet been decided what the building, which opened as a library in 1940, will be used for.
The axe has also fallen on Castle Green Library in Gale Street, Dagenham, which closes on March 31 next year.
Barking and Dagenham Council said the library overhaul would save the authority �425,000 in 2012/13 and a further �226,000 in 2013/14.
You may also want to watch:
A decision to close the centres was taken despite campaigners presenting a 100 signature-strong petition to the council.
Posting on webforum streetlife.com, resident Linda H said: “I live near to Markyate Library.
- 1 Barking butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 3 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 4 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 5 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 6 'The entire game will mourn him': Tributes to football great Jimmy Greaves
- 7 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 8 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
“I used to use it a lot, but found they did not seem to get many new books.
“I probably used it more when my sons were young as their school was just round the corner so we used to go there after school.
“It is a shame it is shutting as the school is still there and I dare say a lot of children still go there, also elderly people used it a lot.”
A council spokesman said: “The council is faced with making some very difficult decisions about how to reduce service costs or in some cases whether to continue to provide those services at all.
“Unfortunately because of this, we have had to make some tough decisions and regrettably this included the closure of Markyate Library.”
No-one will lose their job.