Dagenham man finds London labourer job advertised only in Polish
- Credit: Archant
A job-seeker was left dumbfounded when he came across a vacancy for a labourer in London advertised entirely in Polish.
The advert, on the government’s Jobcentre Plus website, was titled ‘Labourer’ and the location ‘Docklands, London - but almost all the text was in the eastern European language.
We were told about the posting by a woman whose Dagenham grandson had found the vacancy when searching for work.
The Post contacted the Department of Work and Pensions who confirmed all vacancies must be advertised in English and took the advert down.
The 64-year-old pensioner, who wishes not to be named said: “My grandson was on my computer and saw that there was a labourer job going, but he didn’t have a clue what it said.
You may also want to watch:
“A job like that should be open to everyone not just those who can speak Polish. There are so many people who need work at the moment, like my grandson - it isn’t right that the job is being advertised to one nationality.”
The vacancy had also been posted on job board CV-Library.co.uk.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 8 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 9 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 10 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
A spokeswoman from CV-Library said the post was taken down when they noticed it was in Polish and added: “We flagged this up with the [person posted the ad on behalf of the employer] who explained that the employer who owns the construction site is a Polish man who doesn’t speak any English.
“Due to health and safety reasons he therefore needs to employ someone who speaks Polish. CV-Library explained that the job description needs to be written in English but he can state in it that the candidate must speak fluent Polish.”
The job offered a wage of £6, which is 19p below the minumum wage for those aged 21 and over. The DWP confirmed that all vacancies must offer at least the minimum wage.