Dagenham man finds London labourer job advertised only in Polish
- Credit: Archant
A job-seeker was left dumbfounded when he came across a vacancy for a labourer in London advertised entirely in Polish.
The advert, on the government’s Jobcentre Plus website, was titled ‘Labourer’ and the location ‘Docklands, London - but almost all the text was in the eastern European language.
We were told about the posting by a woman whose Dagenham grandson had found the vacancy when searching for work.
The Post contacted the Department of Work and Pensions who confirmed all vacancies must be advertised in English and took the advert down.
The 64-year-old pensioner, who wishes not to be named said: “My grandson was on my computer and saw that there was a labourer job going, but he didn’t have a clue what it said.
You may also want to watch:
“A job like that should be open to everyone not just those who can speak Polish. There are so many people who need work at the moment, like my grandson - it isn’t right that the job is being advertised to one nationality.”
The vacancy had also been posted on job board CV-Library.co.uk.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 3 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Dagenham held to a draw at Stockport as they continue unbeaten run
- 10 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
A spokeswoman from CV-Library said the post was taken down when they noticed it was in Polish and added: “We flagged this up with the [person posted the ad on behalf of the employer] who explained that the employer who owns the construction site is a Polish man who doesn’t speak any English.
“Due to health and safety reasons he therefore needs to employ someone who speaks Polish. CV-Library explained that the job description needs to be written in English but he can state in it that the candidate must speak fluent Polish.”
The job offered a wage of £6, which is 19p below the minumum wage for those aged 21 and over. The DWP confirmed that all vacancies must offer at least the minimum wage.