Dagenham man finds London labourer job advertised only in Polish
- Credit: Archant
A job-seeker was left dumbfounded when he came across a vacancy for a labourer in London advertised entirely in Polish.
The advert, on the government’s Jobcentre Plus website, was titled ‘Labourer’ and the location ‘Docklands, London - but almost all the text was in the eastern European language.
We were told about the posting by a woman whose Dagenham grandson had found the vacancy when searching for work.
The Post contacted the Department of Work and Pensions who confirmed all vacancies must be advertised in English and took the advert down.
The 64-year-old pensioner, who wishes not to be named said: “My grandson was on my computer and saw that there was a labourer job going, but he didn’t have a clue what it said.
“A job like that should be open to everyone not just those who can speak Polish. There are so many people who need work at the moment, like my grandson - it isn’t right that the job is being advertised to one nationality.”
The vacancy had also been posted on job board CV-Library.co.uk.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 2 Council leader on the borough's future, CPZs and receiving death threats
- 3 Dagenham cat with misshapen eye struggles to find home
- 4 Baby boy died from 'whiplash' injuries caused by shaking, trial hears
- 5 Boy, 5, dies after 'unexplained' incident off Heathway
- 6 Dagenham woman to face trial on numerous robbery charges
- 7 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 8 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 9 Man pleads not guilty to unlicensed street trading in Dagenham
- 10 Cycling festival coming to Barking
A spokeswoman from CV-Library said the post was taken down when they noticed it was in Polish and added: “We flagged this up with the [person posted the ad on behalf of the employer] who explained that the employer who owns the construction site is a Polish man who doesn’t speak any English.
“Due to health and safety reasons he therefore needs to employ someone who speaks Polish. CV-Library explained that the job description needs to be written in English but he can state in it that the candidate must speak fluent Polish.”
The job offered a wage of £6, which is 19p below the minumum wage for those aged 21 and over. The DWP confirmed that all vacancies must offer at least the minimum wage.