Fourth Labour councillor defects to Ukip in Barking and Dagenham
- Credit: Archant
Nigel Farage’s UK Independence Party has claimed another Labour scalp in Barking and Dagenham.
Cllr Tariq Saeed defected to Ukip on Wednesday after announcing his departure from the Labour party.
Barking and Dagenaham Ukip Forum chariman Peter Harris said he was “delighted” the Abbey Ward councillor had made the move.
He said: “We are extremely pleased to have somebody with Tariq’s experience join our party and agree to stand as a Ukip candidate in the election on May 22.”
He added: “Speaking as an ex-Labour party member and supporter, I personally feel that the Labour party have let down the working class.
You may also want to watch:
“Let’s not forget that it was Labour that opened the doors to mass uncontrolled immigration.”
Cllr Saeed is the fourth councillor to defect from Labour to Ukip.
- 1 Revellers descend on Dagenham for We Are FSTVL
- 2 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 3 The tea room in a country park 'building a community' in Dagenham
- 4 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 5 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 6 College students lend a hand to improve recreation ground
- 7 Students work with film crews on Amazon, Apple and Netflix productions
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 10 Dagenham boss hails squad options ahead of Wrexham trip