Fourth Labour councillor defects to Ukip in Barking and Dagenham
- Credit: Archant
Nigel Farage’s UK Independence Party has claimed another Labour scalp in Barking and Dagenham.
Cllr Tariq Saeed defected to Ukip on Wednesday after announcing his departure from the Labour party.
Barking and Dagenaham Ukip Forum chariman Peter Harris said he was “delighted” the Abbey Ward councillor had made the move.
He said: “We are extremely pleased to have somebody with Tariq’s experience join our party and agree to stand as a Ukip candidate in the election on May 22.”
He added: “Speaking as an ex-Labour party member and supporter, I personally feel that the Labour party have let down the working class.
You may also want to watch:
“Let’s not forget that it was Labour that opened the doors to mass uncontrolled immigration.”
Cllr Saeed is the fourth councillor to defect from Labour to Ukip.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 3 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 4 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 5 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 6 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 7 Dagenham author pens novel to mark centenary of Becontree Estate
- 8 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 9 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 10 Barking father's car stolen from driveway