Fourth Labour councillor defects to Ukip in Barking and Dagenham
- Credit: Archant
Nigel Farage’s UK Independence Party has claimed another Labour scalp in Barking and Dagenham.
Cllr Tariq Saeed defected to Ukip on Wednesday after announcing his departure from the Labour party.
Barking and Dagenaham Ukip Forum chariman Peter Harris said he was “delighted” the Abbey Ward councillor had made the move.
He said: “We are extremely pleased to have somebody with Tariq’s experience join our party and agree to stand as a Ukip candidate in the election on May 22.”
He added: “Speaking as an ex-Labour party member and supporter, I personally feel that the Labour party have let down the working class.
You may also want to watch:
“Let’s not forget that it was Labour that opened the doors to mass uncontrolled immigration.”
Cllr Saeed is the fourth councillor to defect from Labour to Ukip.
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 3 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 6 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 7 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Barking and Dagenham goes two weeks without Covid-19 deaths
- 10 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder