Garden Bridge Trust criticises Barking MP’s ‘selective’ report
- Credit: Archant
The charity behind the Garden Bridge has hit back at Dame Margaret Hodge after she called for the project to be scrapped.
Lord Mervyn Davies, chairman of the Garden Bridge Trust, said the Barking MP had “shown disregard for the facts and been selective in her use of evidence to support her own opinion” in her recent review.
The trust further claims Dame Margaret failed to acknowledge a survey that suggests over three quarters of Londoners back the bridge, while making “unsubstantiated claims” that philanthropists could not be found.
However the MP has since said she “did not expect the Garden Bridge Trust to support the conclusions I came to” which “are grounded in that evidence”.
She added: “Value for money for the taxpayer has not been secured, and it would be better for the taxpayer to accept the financial loss of cancelling the project than to risk the potential uncertain additional costs to the public purse if the project proceeds.”
You may also want to watch:
The bridge’s future, which has risen in cost from £60million to more than £200m, now lies with Mayor of London Sadiq Khan.
Lord Davies commented: Our message to him is that this report, with its many errors and ill-informed opinions, is no basis upon which to take decisions about a project that has been through the complex democratic processes by which decisions on development are made in this city.”
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 2 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 3 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 'Woke rubbish': Losing candidate on stir over 'unspellable' names comment
- 6 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 7 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 8 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 9 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 10 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night