Rename Hammersmith & City line or support Barking becoming an independent city, says London Assembly member
- Credit: Tom Simpson/Greater London Autho
“There is a whole world beyond Liverpool Street,” says a London Assembly member trying to persuade Sadiq Khan to rename the Hammersmith & City line the Hammersmith & Barking line.
Andrew Boff, a Conservative assembly member who lives in Barking, put his demand to Mr Khan at last week’s mayoral question time - although he has only just responded.
In his question, he said: “Will you either a) rename the Hammersmith & City Line the Hammersmith & Barking Line or b) Support Barking becoming a city?”
He adds: “The future of London can be found in the east and the transport system should recognise that.
“A name change for the Hammersmith & City line would give Barking the recognition that it deserves and prove the mayor is backing the renaissance in the east.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve given him two choices, one he can control, one he can’t.”
Mr Khan said: “The Hammersmith & City line is appropriate for the areas that it serves and I see no benefit and only extensive cost in time and finances to rebrand the line.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 8 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 9 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 10 Dagenham held to a draw at Stockport as they continue unbeaten run
“Transport for London would have to update every map and direction sign, as well as all announcements on every affected train and station on the network.”