Illegal worker raid in Dagenham finds all staff have right be there
- Credit: Archant
Border agency officers raided a car wash after reports of illegal immigrants but found all staff had permission to live and work in the UK.
The operation yesterday morning saw a number officers from the Home Office as well as police made an unannounced visit to MVS Future car wash in Becontree Avenue, Dagenham at around 10.30am today.
It was thought a number of Albanians may have been working there illegally but checks revealed that the four men on site during the raid all had permission to be here.
Dave George, deputy director of enforcement for London at the Home Office, said: “Intelligence had led us to think that people were working at the car wash illegally. However we spoke to the men and made checks which showed that they have a right to remain and work here, so we will take not further action.”
Afterwards one worker, who gave his first name as Lucia-Gabriel, said he understood the officers had to do their checks, but added: “It scared me. There were so many of them. I didn’t understand what was going on at first.”
You may also want to watch:
The 42-year-old, who comes from Romania not Albania, said he moved to the UK because the employment situation in his home country was extremely tough. “There are no jobs there. It is very difficult.”
A resident living nearby Tye Lewis, 25, said he felt for the workers: “I get my car washed there all the time. They’re decent people just trying to earn a living. It’s not very nice for them to have to go through things like this.”
- 1 School pupil among Indian Covid variant cases in Barking and Dagenham
- 2 Jailed: Dagenham car burglar after 100mph pursuit in Romford
- 3 Barking man charged with sexual assault during crackdown on violence against women
- 4 Love Island promo filming in Barking 'a great opportunity' for college students
- 5 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 6 Barking Indian restaurant owner fined over waste disposal
- 7 West Ham Women bow out of FA Cup at Manchester City
- 8 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 9 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 10 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed