Illegal worker raid in Dagenham finds all staff have right be there
- Credit: Archant
Border agency officers raided a car wash after reports of illegal immigrants but found all staff had permission to live and work in the UK.
The operation yesterday morning saw a number officers from the Home Office as well as police made an unannounced visit to MVS Future car wash in Becontree Avenue, Dagenham at around 10.30am today.
It was thought a number of Albanians may have been working there illegally but checks revealed that the four men on site during the raid all had permission to be here.
Dave George, deputy director of enforcement for London at the Home Office, said: “Intelligence had led us to think that people were working at the car wash illegally. However we spoke to the men and made checks which showed that they have a right to remain and work here, so we will take not further action.”
Afterwards one worker, who gave his first name as Lucia-Gabriel, said he understood the officers had to do their checks, but added: “It scared me. There were so many of them. I didn’t understand what was going on at first.”
You may also want to watch:
The 42-year-old, who comes from Romania not Albania, said he moved to the UK because the employment situation in his home country was extremely tough. “There are no jobs there. It is very difficult.”
A resident living nearby Tye Lewis, 25, said he felt for the workers: “I get my car washed there all the time. They’re decent people just trying to earn a living. It’s not very nice for them to have to go through things like this.”
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 10 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham