Jeremy Corbyn backed by five Barking and Dagenham councillors
- Credit: Vickie Flores
Labour leadership front-runner Jeremy Corbyn has the backing of at least five Barking and Dagenham councillors.
The much-talked about Islington North MP has divided opinion ever since his last-minute entry into the four-way contest, and five of the borough’s elected Labour representatives are championing the veteran left-winger.
Albion’s Cllr Sanchia Alasia, Eastbrook’s Cllr Mick Mccarthy and Chadwell Heath’s Cllr Sam Tarry have publicly declared their support alongside Whalebone pair Cllrs Liam Smith and John White.
The group are part of more than 450 local councillors from across the UK who have endorsed Mr Corbyn on his campaign website, as he battles against Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper and Liz Kendall.
At least eight councillors have backed Miss Kendall including Mayesbrook duo Cllrs Adegboyega Oluwole and Kashif Haroon, Alibon’s Cllr Christopher Hughes, Cllr Faraaz Shaukat from Eastbury ward and Becontree representative Cllr Faruk Choudhury.
Goresbrook’s Cllr Moin Quadri, Cllr Syed Ghani of Valence ward and deputy council leader Cllr Saima Ashraf – a ward councillor for Gascoigne – are also listed on the Leicester West MP’s campaign page.
Cllr Syed Ahammad of Longbdidge ward has pledged his support for Miss Cooper.
- 1 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 2 No injuries after car and van collide in Dagenham Heathway
- 3 Jailed: Dagenham man pressed groin against pregnant woman on Tube train
- 4 Jailed: Hornchurch man found with weapons in Dagenham
- 5 Dagenham man in court over Zara Aleena murder
- 6 Vigil to be held this Saturday for 'pure of heart' Zara Aleena
- 7 Census 2021 indicates baby boom in one east London borough
- 8 Latest data shows Covid admissions rising again at east London hospitals
- 9 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 10 Man taken to hospital after fight reported on Heathway in Dagenham
Ballot papers were sent out to registered Labour party members on August 14 which have to be returned by Thursday, September 10.