London 2012: Dagenham children on way to “brilliant” Olympic Opening Ceremony
Excited youngsters have set off for the Olympic Stadium ahead of their performance at the London 2012 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony tonight.
The children who attend Hunters Hall Primary School, in Alibon Road, Dagenham, were waved off by their proud parents ahead of the show which is to be watched by billions nationwide.
Carla Palmer was waiting for the bus with her daughter Emily, who is to take part in the �27million opening ceremony. She said the tehcnical rehearsal on Monday was “brilliant” and promised the night would be one to remember.
All those who took part or watched the rehearsal have been told to keep the contents of the show a secret to not spoil the surprise.
More than 30 pupils from All Saints Catholic School, in Terling Road, Dagenham, have also boarded a coach to make their way to the stadium.
The pre-show to the Games starts at 8.12pm, or 20:12, with the opening ceremony kicking off at 9pm.
Around 80,000 people are expected to watch the opening of the Games in the Stadium, with a television audience of billions across the world.
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 3 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 4 Police appeal after intruder reportedly enters Barking home and threatens woman with knife
- 5 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 6 Cycling festival coming to Barking
- 7 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 8 40 firefighters tackle Anchor Close blaze
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
Maybe you are performing at the Opening Ceremony or are among the lucky ones to have a ticket. Send your pictures and stories to firstname.lastname@example.org, sign up to iwitness24 or contact us through streetlife.com. Alternatively call the news room on 0208 477 3804.
* Why not watch the Opening Ceremony on a mobile 46-square metre big screen at Central Park, Dagenham, tonight, as part of Festival Central. The fun started at 4pm. Check out festivalcentral.org