London 2012: Dagenham children on way to “brilliant” Olympic Opening Ceremony
Excited youngsters have set off for the Olympic Stadium ahead of their performance at the London 2012 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony tonight.
The children who attend Hunters Hall Primary School, in Alibon Road, Dagenham, were waved off by their proud parents ahead of the show which is to be watched by billions nationwide.
Carla Palmer was waiting for the bus with her daughter Emily, who is to take part in the �27million opening ceremony. She said the tehcnical rehearsal on Monday was “brilliant” and promised the night would be one to remember.
All those who took part or watched the rehearsal have been told to keep the contents of the show a secret to not spoil the surprise.
More than 30 pupils from All Saints Catholic School, in Terling Road, Dagenham, have also boarded a coach to make their way to the stadium.
You may also want to watch:
The pre-show to the Games starts at 8.12pm, or 20:12, with the opening ceremony kicking off at 9pm.
Around 80,000 people are expected to watch the opening of the Games in the Stadium, with a television audience of billions across the world.
- 1 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
- 2 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 3 Patrols target antisocial behaviour in Barking town centre
- 4 Mum of girl with rare genetic condition vows to keep raising awareness
- 5 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 6 What is changing when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 7 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 8 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
- 9 London elections 2021: City and East candidates make case for your vote
- 10 Doctors 'concerned' patients' health will suffer due to non-Covid backlog
Maybe you are performing at the Opening Ceremony or are among the lucky ones to have a ticket. Send your pictures and stories to firstname.lastname@example.org, sign up to iwitness24 or contact us through streetlife.com. Alternatively call the news room on 0208 477 3804.
* Why not watch the Opening Ceremony on a mobile 46-square metre big screen at Central Park, Dagenham, tonight, as part of Festival Central. The fun started at 4pm. Check out festivalcentral.org