London 2012: Diversity and Olympic Flame at Dagenham Town Show
Members of dance troupe Diversity have carried the Olympic Flame into Central Park, Dagenham, where they received a heroes welcome at the 60th Dagenham Town Show.
The Britain’s Got Talent winners who are from the borough took to the main stage as hundreds of fans waved and cheered the group.
It was the centrepiece of the Barking and Dagenham Torch Relay which started in Barking Park just before 10am, taking in Mayesbrook Park and several of the borough’s roads on the way to the show.
The torch and its entourage will now have a lunch break before heading out the borough.
Pam Taylor, who grew up in Dagenham but now lives in Canvey Island, said: “I watched it at the civic centre and then ran round here to see it. I have also seen the torch in Southend.
“This torch relay is great at bringing the community together.
“It was over in a flash but it’s nice to see, it’s such a big occasion.”
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Jailed: Burglar who stole equipment worth more than £3k from car repair centre
- 3 Jailed: Dagenham man pressed groin against pregnant woman on Tube train
- 4 Dagenham man in court over Zara Aleena murder
- 5 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 6 No injuries after car and van collide in Dagenham Heathway
- 7 Man taken to hospital after fight reported on Heathway in Dagenham
- 8 Jailed: Hornchurch man found with weapons in Dagenham
- 9 Vigil to be held this Saturday for 'pure of heart' Zara Aleena
- 10 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
Jon Goodman, of Stevens Road, Dagenham, who is at the Town Show with his two-year-old son George, said: “I love the Olympics and can’t wait until it all starts.
“George probably wont remember this but he’ll be able to say he was part of it.”
Soul singer Lemar and Britain’s Got Talent finalist Molly Rainford are headline acts for today. Yesterday ‘60s legends The Hollies turned back time with some of their classic tracks.
Read our 8 to 10 page special report on the Dagenham Town Show and Olympic Torch relay in the Barking and Dagenham Post this Wednesday, Also get a free 64-page Streets of Gold supplement to celebrate the Summer Olympics.