Margaret Hodge claims London Mayor would be “fantastic job” amid candidacy rumours
- Credit: Archant
Rumours Margaret Hodge may stand as the Labour candidate for Mayor of London continue to circulate after the Barking MP described it as “a fantastic job”.
Hodge’s name has been mentioned in connection with the prestigious post in recent months, though any bid is yet to be officiated.
Incumbent mayor Boris Johnson is himself the subject of speculation over whether he will return to Parliament. Having twice been voted in by Londoners, the recognisable Conservative’s exit could be a spur for Hodge to plump for mayor in 2016.
The long-serving MP has made a name for herself in recent years by holding big businesses to task as chair of the Public Accounts Committee.
However, a recent YouGov survey showed Diane Abbott was Labour supporters’ preferred mayoral candidate.
You may also want to watch:
A statement to the Post from her office read: “The Mayor of London is a fantastic job and Margaret has been asked by a lot of people to run.
“But at the moment she is very busy serving her constituents in Barking and being chair of the Public Accounts Committee.”
- 1 Barking butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 3 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 4 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 5 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 6 'The entire game will mourn him': Tributes to football great Jimmy Greaves
- 7 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 8 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL