Margaret Hodge claims London Mayor would be “fantastic job” amid candidacy rumours
- Credit: Archant
Rumours Margaret Hodge may stand as the Labour candidate for Mayor of London continue to circulate after the Barking MP described it as “a fantastic job”.
Hodge’s name has been mentioned in connection with the prestigious post in recent months, though any bid is yet to be officiated.
Incumbent mayor Boris Johnson is himself the subject of speculation over whether he will return to Parliament. Having twice been voted in by Londoners, the recognisable Conservative’s exit could be a spur for Hodge to plump for mayor in 2016.
The long-serving MP has made a name for herself in recent years by holding big businesses to task as chair of the Public Accounts Committee.
However, a recent YouGov survey showed Diane Abbott was Labour supporters’ preferred mayoral candidate.
You may also want to watch:
A statement to the Post from her office read: “The Mayor of London is a fantastic job and Margaret has been asked by a lot of people to run.
“But at the moment she is very busy serving her constituents in Barking and being chair of the Public Accounts Committee.”
- 1 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
- 2 What is changing when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 3 Patrols target antisocial behaviour in Barking town centre
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Mum of girl with rare genetic condition vows to keep raising awareness
- 6 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 7 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
- 8 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 9 Liam Gordon ruled out for the season as Dagenham boss McMahon provides injury update
- 10 Men found with head injuries in Barking bailed by police