Margaret Hodge claims London Mayor would be “fantastic job” amid candidacy rumours
- Credit: Archant
Rumours Margaret Hodge may stand as the Labour candidate for Mayor of London continue to circulate after the Barking MP described it as “a fantastic job”.
Hodge’s name has been mentioned in connection with the prestigious post in recent months, though any bid is yet to be officiated.
Incumbent mayor Boris Johnson is himself the subject of speculation over whether he will return to Parliament. Having twice been voted in by Londoners, the recognisable Conservative’s exit could be a spur for Hodge to plump for mayor in 2016.
The long-serving MP has made a name for herself in recent years by holding big businesses to task as chair of the Public Accounts Committee.
However, a recent YouGov survey showed Diane Abbott was Labour supporters’ preferred mayoral candidate.
A statement to the Post from her office read: “The Mayor of London is a fantastic job and Margaret has been asked by a lot of people to run.
“But at the moment she is very busy serving her constituents in Barking and being chair of the Public Accounts Committee.”
- 1 Car park murder: Victim's wife tells trial about the last text he sent her
- 2 Ex-soldier launches business to help veterans 'regain their identity'
- 3 Historic fleet of vehicles moving from Dagenham, Ford confirms
- 4 Revealed: Cause of Dagenham house fire
- 5 Man run over four times embroiled in row over £40,000, murder trial told
- 6 Book examines police failings in Stephen Port investigation
- 7 Bow man charged with three offences after Dagenham stabbing
- 8 Dagenham man loses third of bodyweight during lockdown
- 9 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 10 Quickfire double sends Dagenham & Redbridge past Southend United