Marks Gate care home expansion will ‘ruin area’ claim neighbours
- Credit: Archant
A cluster of residents are becoming increasingly worried about plans to treble the size of a care home.
Barking and Dagenham Council approved plans to demolish Abbey Care Home, in Collier Row Road, Marks Gate, to make way for a larger home last month, despite 10 letters of objection – five worried about resident welfare, the other five from unhappy neighbours.
The move will take 11 months, from when building work begins, but neighbours claim increasing the overall floorspace from 617sq m to 1913sq m will block out sunlight and increase traffic to unmanageable levels.
“It just can’t go ahead,” said retired builder Tony Farthing, 70, who lives opposite.
“It will totally ruin this neighbourhood.”
You may also want to watch:
Retired engineer John Torrance, 78, says the reduced sunlight to his cottage will rot the wooden beams.
“It will be really detrimental,” he said. “It will completely put me in the shade.
- 1 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
- 2 What is changing when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 3 Patrols target antisocial behaviour in Barking town centre
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Mum of girl with rare genetic condition vows to keep raising awareness
- 6 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 7 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
- 8 Liam Gordon ruled out for the season as Dagenham boss McMahon provides injury update
- 9 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 10 Men found with head injuries in Barking bailed by police
“I feel totally betrayed by the council – if they want more beds they should find another plot of land and build there.”
Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas confirmed he has recently spoken to the council over the issue, after meeting the residents.
“I was initially told that there would be no negative effect on the local residents, but it has become apparent that this is not the case,” he said.
“Residents are extremely concerned about the impact of the works, and along with the ward councillors I will be staying on top of this.”
Rajiv Patel, care home director, said: “At present the building is non-compliant to current minimum standards and is not fit for the future.
“We will work with residents, relatives, staff, the local commissioners, CQC, the local council and any other parties concerned at every stage.”
A council spokesman said: “Having carefully considered all of the evidence the board accepted that Abbey Care Home at present was not fit for purpose and there were very special circumstances to allow a larger replacement care home on metropolitan green belt land.”