Plans to build 28-storey Barking tower block rejected
- Credit: photo: Arnaud Stephenson
Plans to build a 28-storey block of flats in Barking town centre have been narrowly rejected by councillors.
The proposals would have provided 198 privately-rented homes, just behind Barking train station on Trocoll House and adjoining car park in Wakering Road.
Flexible commercial space would also have been provided in the multi-million pound development.
After questions were raised about the lack of social housing – it would have been completely privately-rented – and the loss of lighting to nearby offices, the plans were overturned by five votes to four at a development control board meeting on Monday night.
But Cllr Cameron Geddes, cabinet member for regeneration, said: “It’s remarkable to have an application of this size going on in a town centre and to see so few objections.
You may also want to watch:
“This would not be like the one in Ilford [Pioneer Point] which sticks out like a sore thumb.”
Cllr Geddes also claimed the lack of social housing was not a concern, because that was not the building’s intended use.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 4 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 7 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 8 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 9 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
- 10 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
“This will be for people who will benefit the borough,” he added. “These are the people we are trying to attract.”
Paul Scott, 39, of nearby Sandhurst Drive, was one of three objectors and was pleased to see the plans opposed.
“Personally I think it would have looked totally out of place,” he said.