Ukip claims third Labour defector in Barking and Dagenham
Ukip has claimed a third Labour defector in Barking and Dagenham.
Cllr Graham Letchford became the newest recruit to Nigel Farage’s rapidly growing party on Friday, according to a council spokesman.
The Goresbrook Ward councillor joins Cllr Rob Douglas and former ceremonial mayor Cllr Dee Hunt who have all crossed the political divide, abandoning Ed Miliband’s Labour party.
Barking and Dagenham Chamber Of Commerce president Peter Harris also announced he would be leaving his position this Wednesday to join Ukip and today told the Post he would be standing in May’s local election as a member of the party.
He said he was drawn to the party’s stance against open border immigration within the European Union (EU).
You may also want to watch:
“I see the EU as the biggest threat to this country’s sovereignty since the Second World War,” he said.
“The current three main parties aren’t doing anything about it.”
- 1 Hospital visitors urged to take Covid lateral flow tests
- 2 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 4 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 5 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 6 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 7 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
- 8 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 9 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 10 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham