Ukip claims third Labour defector in Barking and Dagenham
Ukip has claimed a third Labour defector in Barking and Dagenham.
Cllr Graham Letchford became the newest recruit to Nigel Farage’s rapidly growing party on Friday, according to a council spokesman.
The Goresbrook Ward councillor joins Cllr Rob Douglas and former ceremonial mayor Cllr Dee Hunt who have all crossed the political divide, abandoning Ed Miliband’s Labour party.
Barking and Dagenham Chamber Of Commerce president Peter Harris also announced he would be leaving his position this Wednesday to join Ukip and today told the Post he would be standing in May’s local election as a member of the party.
He said he was drawn to the party’s stance against open border immigration within the European Union (EU).
You may also want to watch:
“I see the EU as the biggest threat to this country’s sovereignty since the Second World War,” he said.
“The current three main parties aren’t doing anything about it.”
- 1 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 2 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 7 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 8 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
- 9 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 10 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home