Ukip claims third Labour defector in Barking and Dagenham
Ukip has claimed a third Labour defector in Barking and Dagenham.
Cllr Graham Letchford became the newest recruit to Nigel Farage’s rapidly growing party on Friday, according to a council spokesman.
The Goresbrook Ward councillor joins Cllr Rob Douglas and former ceremonial mayor Cllr Dee Hunt who have all crossed the political divide, abandoning Ed Miliband’s Labour party.
Barking and Dagenham Chamber Of Commerce president Peter Harris also announced he would be leaving his position this Wednesday to join Ukip and today told the Post he would be standing in May’s local election as a member of the party.
He said he was drawn to the party’s stance against open border immigration within the European Union (EU).
You may also want to watch:
“I see the EU as the biggest threat to this country’s sovereignty since the Second World War,” he said.
“The current three main parties aren’t doing anything about it.”
- 1 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
- 2 What is changing when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 3 Patrols target antisocial behaviour in Barking town centre
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Mum of girl with rare genetic condition vows to keep raising awareness
- 6 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 7 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
- 8 Liam Gordon ruled out for the season as Dagenham boss McMahon provides injury update
- 9 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 10 Men found with head injuries in Barking bailed by police