Love from Afghanistan
A BRAVE soldier, who s serving his country in Afghanistan, was shocked and amazed to hear his 3-year-old niece will walk two-and-a half miles to raise cash for our wounded soldiers. Little Leia Brown graced the front page of the POST in April, after we le
A BRAVE soldier, who's serving his country in Afghanistan, was shocked and amazed to hear his 3-year-old niece will walk two-and-a half miles to raise cash for our wounded soldiers.
Little Leia Brown graced the front page of the POST in April, after we learnt about her mission to make it all the way from her home in Arnold Road, Dagenham to 'Nanny's house' in Rainham on July 25.
Leia and her mum, Emma, were hoping to raise �200 for Help for Heroes, a charity who provide practical support to service men and women injured in the line of duty.
The toddler's uncle, Lance Corporal Alan Thomas, had recently been posted to Afghanistan with 2nd Battalion Rifles and knew nothing about his niece's ambitious plans and her front cover fame.
Emma tells the POST: "I told him about it shortly after the piece was published. He didn't know what to say - he was pretty shocked and amazed!
"In the end I decided to send a copy of the paper to Afghanistan so he could see for himself. He thought it was fantastic and is very proud of what Leia is doing."
- 1 Man hospitalised after being found in Mayesbrook Park
- 2 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 3 Car park murder: Witness describes moment John Avers was run over
- 4 Car park murder: Victim's wife tells trial about the last text he sent her
- 5 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 6 Car park murder: 'Distressing' CCTV shows victim being run over four times
- 7 Man run over four times embroiled in row over £40,000, murder trial told
- 8 Revealed: Cause of Dagenham house fire
- 9 Historic fleet of vehicles moving from Dagenham, Ford confirms
- 10 Barking and Dagenham set for 250 new electric vehicle charging points
Emma says the piece in the POST has given their fundraising a fantastic boost.
"We had planned to raise around �200, but we've gone well beyond that and have almost hit �600, which is great."
And as the big day gets closer it seems Leia is even more determined to make it the whole two-and-a-half mile stretch.
"She's actually been doing a lot of training on her trampoline - so I think she'll be fine!"
To sponsor Leia online go to justgiving.com/leiabrown