Love is in the air at Barking and Dagenham Age Concern lunch
OLD romantics were swept off for a Valentines luncheon at the Moby Dick carvery by OAP charity Age Concern. Elderly men and women from Barking and Dagenham were picked and escorted to the restaurant by volunteers who presented them with a single rose and
OLD romantics were swept off for a Valentines luncheon at the Moby Dick carvery by OAP charity Age Concern.
Elderly men and women from Barking and Dagenham were picked and escorted to the restaurant by volunteers who presented them with a single rose and balloon each.
They arrived at the Moby Dick, in Whalebone Lane North, on Tuesday, February 24 to find their tables decorated with hearts and candles.
Shirley Rice and her team of volunteers organised and paid for the whole thing themselves by doing charity runs last year.
However when they tried to hand over the money for their bill kind hearted manager of the Moby Dick, Tina Donno, insisted their meal was on the house.
Shirley said: "I couldn't believe it. It was so incredibly kind of Tina to give us the food for free.
- 1 Thousands set to descend on Dagenham for music fest as licence approved
- 2 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 3 Jailed: Burglar who stole equipment worth more than £3k from car repair centre
- 4 Barking and Dagenham gets lowly ranking for 'healthy streets'
- 5 More than 300 homes finished at Beam Park as council leader visits
- 6 No injuries after car and van collide in Dagenham Heathway
- 7 Jailed: Dagenham man pressed groin against pregnant woman on Tube train
- 8 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 9 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 10 Man taken to hospital after fight reported on Heathway in Dagenham
"She told us that we should keep the money and put it back into the charity so that we can keep doing our work with the elderly.
"The day went really well. We were given money off the flowers, balloons and transport. Everyone has been so kind."
Age Concern primarily deals with housebound people, helping them get out and about or visiting them in their homes.
They are always looking for volunteers who can give up around an hour a week to visit elderly people in their area.
If you would like to help OAPs in your community then call Shirley on 020 8270 4957.