Luke strikes for O's
Tranmere Rovers 1 Leyton Orient 1 LUKE ASHWORTH scored his first senior goal as Orient kept their FA Cup hopes alive at Tranmere Rovers on Saturday. Ashworth headed the O s in front on seven minutes, but Tranmere hit back to level when Chris Shuker netted
Tranmere Rovers 1 Leyton Orient 1
LUKE ASHWORTH scored his first senior goal as Orient kept their FA Cup hopes alive at Tranmere Rovers on Saturday.
Ashworth headed the O's in front on seven minutes, but Tranmere hit back to level when Chris Shuker netted early in the second half, his shot taking a wicked deflection off visiting midfielder Sean Thornton.
The replay will take place at Brisbane Road next Tuesday and the prize for success will be a home tie against League Two side Aldershot Town in the second round.
However, O's boss Geraint Williams was not happy with his side's display at Prenton Park and said afterwards: "I thought it was our worst performance of the season and we were indebted to Glenn Morris, who made some excellent saves to make sure we forced a replay."
However, there was one bright note for the O's boss, as midfielder Thornton returned to the side for the first time since August.
- 1 Barking Market extended to 'ease antisocial behaviour'
- 2 Dagenham pub to host inaugural local Christmas fair
- 3 Dagenham mum says council is 'neglecting daughters' health'
- 4 Thousands watch Barking Christmas lights switch-on
- 5 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 6 'Devastated' friends need £36k to help mum with bowel cancer
- 7 'It's the right time': Dame Margaret Hodge on not seeking re-election
- 8 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 9 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 10 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
"We had to push Sean back a little bit early and he did well to get through 90 minutes," said Williams.
It was Thornton's first start since he suffered a knee injury during the derby duel with Charlton Athletic.
The O's were without both loan players Andros Townsend and Luke Summerfield as their parent clubs Spurs and Plymouth did not want them cup tied.
While midfielder JJ Melligan missed the match through illness and Tamika Mkandawire was unavailable after suffering a head injury in the game against Southampton.