Search

Man injured in Dagenham shop fire caused by explosion

PUBLISHED: 08:24 23 January 2017 | UPDATED: 09:24 23 January 2017

Two fire engines were called to a fire at Padnall Road on Friday afternoon

Two fire engines were called to a fire at Padnall Road on Friday afternoon

Archant

A man was treated for burns after an explosion at a convenience store resulted in a fire.

Firefighters were called to Padnall Stores, Padnall Road, Dagenham at 3.20pm on Friday.

Upon arrival, they found a shop assistant who had received nine per cent burns.

He was taken to hospital as a priority but his condition remains unknown.

No other people were said to be hurt, according to firefighters who attended the scene.

The explosion was said to have been caused by a heater left on top of a box of lighters.

It caused the windows to be blown out while structural damage was caused to the building.

Padnall Stores is located beneath two residential flats.

Did you see what happened? Contact Sebastian Murphy-Bates on 020 8477 5802 or email sebastian.murphy-bates@archant.co.uk


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post