Mayor appeals on behalf of Olympic hopefuls
THE MAYOR is calling on high profile athletes and businesses to help him support youngsters for the 2012 Olympics. Cllr Emmanuel Obasohan and Barking College have teamed up to promote the mayor s charity Living the Dream which was set up in 2007 to supp
THE MAYOR is calling on high profile athletes and businesses to help him support youngsters for the 2012 Olympics.
Cllr Emmanuel Obasohan and Barking College have teamed up to promote the mayor's charity 'Living the Dream' which was set up in 2007 to support athletic talent in the borough.
The Mayor said: "My aim is to see the youth of Barking and Dagenham benefit from my time as Mayor, and show them pathways to employment so that athletes and other professionals come together to assist me as volunteers."
He also said he was appealing to industry to support the charity with funds, so that youngsters could carry on with their activities.
You may also want to watch:
Barking College is offering to provide facilities and a link with employment through its training programmes.
Juliette Lopez, brokery and account manager at the college, said: "We will deal with the enterprise side of things, while the Mayor will try to attract high profile sports people who could encourage and act as mentors and role models."
- 1 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 3 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 6 'Woke rubbish': Losing candidate on stir over 'unspellable' names comment
- 7 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 8 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 9 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 10 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
Subject to response from athletes and businesses, a fundraising event is planned for late January.
It would bring together athletes with the 'Living the Dream Trust' and college and council representatives, volunteers, small and large enterprises and Olympics organisers to link the campaign with employment opportunities for young people in the borough.
Anyone interested in supporting the charity should go to website: www.livingthedreambandd.org.uk or call 0208 227 2012, or the Mayor's office on 020 8227 2121.