There With You: Mayor of Barking and Dagenham signs up as NHS volunteer
- Credit: Cllr Peter Chand
The mayor of Barking and Dagenham is among more than 400,000 volunteers to sign up to support the NHS during the coronavirus crisis.
Cllr Peter Chand and his wife Harjinder answered health secretary Matt Hancock’s call for people to help the health service.
The couple are set to become community responders, delivering and picking up medication when needed and also talking to those who are feeling lonely while in self-isolation.
Cllr Chand said: “We are in difficult times, the world has never seen the like before.
“This virus has no boundaries and as a community we must come together and support wherever we can.”
You may also want to watch:
As well as the roles Cllr Chand has signed up for, people can also volunteer to transport equipment or patients who have recovered from Covid-19.
To register your interest in volunteering, visit goodsamapp.org/NHS
- 1 Barking mum: 'Wood falling from truck could have killed me or my kids'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Barking & Dagenham girls on cloud nine after big opening win
- 4 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 5 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 6 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
- 7 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 8 Charity shops open, Covid rules, park toilets and child exploitation
- 9 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 10 Barking FC set for big week in the Cup