Memories of an Essex Ghosthunter - Wesley Downes
WESLEY Downes has spent 60 years as a psychic investigator, checking out ghost sightings around Essex. Now,to coincide with Halloween last week, he has written a book about his experiences. Memories of an Essex Ghosthunter (�8.99, Countryside Books) is fi
WESLEY Downes has spent 60 years as a psychic investigator, checking out ghost sightings around Essex.
Now,to coincide with Halloween last week, he has written a book about his experiences.
Memories of an Essex Ghosthunter (�8.99, Countryside Books) is filled with unexplained happenings and stories.
Wesley saw his first ghost in 1946 when he spotted an old school friend walking towards him in a village near Colchester.
You may also want to watch:
He later discovered the friend had died in the D-Day landings.
The book tells the story of a retired Chelmsford policeman-turned-exorcist, who was called in to get rid of a poltergeist when his neighbours came back from their Bonfire Night celebrations to find their front door open and water pouring through the ceiling. The furniture was damaged and crockery smashed.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 3 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 4 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 7 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 8 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 9 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 10 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
When they called in a plumber he was unable to stem the flow of water even though all the stopcocks were turned off.
Other chapters outline strange happenings at Basildon - a floating monk - Harlow, Clacton and Frinton.
The ghosts, which haunt the White Hart pub in Brentwood, are also mentioned.
- LINDSAY JONES