Molten LIFTs off
THE waiting is nearly over as the cultural highlight of the year is about to kick off with a spectacular opening ceremony this weekend. The London International Festival of Theatre (LIFT) and Barking and Dagenham s Molten festival have teamed up to brin
THE waiting is nearly over as the cultural highlight of the year is about to kick off with a spectacular opening ceremony this weekend.
The London International Festival of Theatre (LIFT) and Barking and Dagenham's Molten festival have teamed up to bring you the freshest talents and the most defining acts in state of the art surroundings.
A wealth of attractions and creative projects will turn the cultural spotlight onto the borough for eleven days.
The opening ceremony will include the fabulous French street artists Transe Express, followed by guided tours that will revisit the history of our pubs and the social reformer Elizabeth Fry's final resting place.
You may also want to watch:
Saucy cabaret from the Whoopee Club, local artist's projects, and the hilariously embarrassing play, Sudden Loss of Dignity, starring Kathryn Drysdale and Katie Lyons, are among some of the events that will feed the creative hunger of visitors.
A Global Village Fete will draw revellers out on the Bank Holiday weekend - complete with cricket on the green, cream teas, craft stalls and all sorts of fun and games from entertainers Search Party.
- 1 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 2 Topping out milestone for Barking tower block development
- 3 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 4 Budding entrepreneur from Dagenham wins business pitch competition
- 5 Council warns residents after reports of rogue traders in Dagenham
- 6 Fairlop woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 7 Barking MP joins schoolchildren for managing money lesson
- 8 Steve Allen: 'Oxford students should vote on Magdalen pronunciation instead'
- 9 Dagenham set to announce retained list with three already departing
- 10 Barking man arrested after three men injured in Southend
The cutting-edge portable venue, the Lift, will accommodate some of the industry's leading artists on Abbey Green.
The multi-functional, flexible and environmentally-friendly construction is a theatre space, a concert hall, an open-air stage, an interactive billboard, a cinema, a venue for exhibitions and a public meeting space.
Other venues will be Barking Town Square, the Malthouse, and the Broadway Theatre.
For more information, go to www.liftfestival.com.