MP supports careless driver campaign
A CAMPAIGN to get tougher punishments for motorists who are caught driving without due care and attention is gathering speed. Started by Lynne Cowlbeck and Sylvia Adams, who both lost family members in tragic crashes caused by careless drivers, the petiti
A CAMPAIGN to get tougher punishments for motorists who are caught driving without due care and attention is gathering speed.
Started by Lynne Cowlbeck and Sylvia Adams, who both lost family members in tragic crashes caused by careless drivers, the petition aims to see bans or custodial sentences for those at fault.
Stephen Timms MP for East Ham has joined their fight for justice by writing to the Home Secretary Jackie Smith.
He asks if and when a law can be introduced to prosecute people for causing death by careless and inconsiderate driving.
The online Facebook campaign now has nearly 2,000 signatures and paper copies have been handed out to shops, schools and offices across the east end.
Lynne is the aunt of Ashley Cowlbeck who was killed just before Christmas 2007 travelling down Oxlow Lane in Dagenham.
- 1 Young mother died after flying to Turkey for gastric bypass surgery, inquest hears
- 2 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
- 3 Family of woman who died after surgery in Turkey 'to pursue legal action' in search for truth
- 4 Woman treated at scene of blaze at Dagenham block of flats
- 5 Historic fleet of vehicles moving from Dagenham, Ford confirms
- 6 Community comes together in photo shoot for new film studio
- 7 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 9 More headliners announced for We Are FSTVL 2022
- 10 Dagenham woman first UK patient to receive bionic eye implant
The driver of the car in the collision, Nicola Lovett, received a fine and six penalty points.
Sylvia Adams lost her son in similar tragic circumstances just eight weeks earlier; the driver of the jeep involved received a fine and a ban.
If you would like to join the petition then send your name into the POST, 10 Whalebone Lane South, Dagenham, RM8 1BJ or contact Lynne at email@example.com.