MP supports careless driver campaign
A CAMPAIGN to get tougher punishments for motorists who are caught driving without due care and attention is gathering speed. Started by Lynne Cowlbeck and Sylvia Adams, who both lost family members in tragic crashes caused by careless drivers, the petiti
A CAMPAIGN to get tougher punishments for motorists who are caught driving without due care and attention is gathering speed.
Started by Lynne Cowlbeck and Sylvia Adams, who both lost family members in tragic crashes caused by careless drivers, the petition aims to see bans or custodial sentences for those at fault.
Stephen Timms MP for East Ham has joined their fight for justice by writing to the Home Secretary Jackie Smith.
He asks if and when a law can be introduced to prosecute people for causing death by careless and inconsiderate driving.
You may also want to watch:
The online Facebook campaign now has nearly 2,000 signatures and paper copies have been handed out to shops, schools and offices across the east end.
Lynne is the aunt of Ashley Cowlbeck who was killed just before Christmas 2007 travelling down Oxlow Lane in Dagenham.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 6 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 9 Dagenham held to a draw at Stockport as they continue unbeaten run
- 10 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
The driver of the car in the collision, Nicola Lovett, received a fine and six penalty points.
Sylvia Adams lost her son in similar tragic circumstances just eight weeks earlier; the driver of the jeep involved received a fine and a ban.
If you would like to join the petition then send your name into the POST, 10 Whalebone Lane South, Dagenham, RM8 1BJ or contact Lynne at email@example.com.