MP supports careless driver campaign
A CAMPAIGN to get tougher punishments for motorists who are caught driving without due care and attention is gathering speed. Started by Lynne Cowlbeck and Sylvia Adams, who both lost family members in tragic crashes caused by careless drivers, the petiti
A CAMPAIGN to get tougher punishments for motorists who are caught driving without due care and attention is gathering speed.
Started by Lynne Cowlbeck and Sylvia Adams, who both lost family members in tragic crashes caused by careless drivers, the petition aims to see bans or custodial sentences for those at fault.
Stephen Timms MP for East Ham has joined their fight for justice by writing to the Home Secretary Jackie Smith.
He asks if and when a law can be introduced to prosecute people for causing death by careless and inconsiderate driving.
You may also want to watch:
The online Facebook campaign now has nearly 2,000 signatures and paper copies have been handed out to shops, schools and offices across the east end.
Lynne is the aunt of Ashley Cowlbeck who was killed just before Christmas 2007 travelling down Oxlow Lane in Dagenham.
- 1 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 2 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 3 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week
- 4 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 5 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 6 Barking and Dagenham MPs react after 'horrific' stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 7 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 8 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 9 Darren Rodwell: 'I attended Tory conference to lobby for underground A13'
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
The driver of the car in the collision, Nicola Lovett, received a fine and six penalty points.
Sylvia Adams lost her son in similar tragic circumstances just eight weeks earlier; the driver of the jeep involved received a fine and a ban.
If you would like to join the petition then send your name into the POST, 10 Whalebone Lane South, Dagenham, RM8 1BJ or contact Lynne at firstname.lastname@example.org.