Mum-of-two Ruth ordained as priest’s assistant to serve Becontree
- Credit: Archant
A mum-of-two and former computer programmer has been appointed as a new curate to serve Becontree.
Ruth Dowley was recently ordained at Chelmsford Cathedral by the Diocesan Bishop of Chelmsford, the Rt Rev Stephen Cottrell, after being an active member of St Cedd’s Church for six years.
It was after her first-born’s baptism Ruth decided to commit her life to God.
“It was a time of thinking about the meaning of life,” she said.
Previously an accountancy assistant with Redbridge Council and later a computer programmer, she gradually found herself drawn to a career in the Church.
She has been a reader, overseeing the pastoral needs of her congregation and leading study groups and Lent courses, as well as spending a year training at the St Mellitus ministerial college in south London.
- 1 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 2 Homophobia ruled out for jury in Stephen Port victims’ inquests
- 3 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election
- 4 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 5 Travel: What to watch out for across Havering, Redbridge and Barking and Dagenham
- 6 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 7 Dagenham boss McMahon 'delighted' with victory over Grimsby
- 8 The gift of giving: Where to donate food across east London this Christmas
- 9 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 10 Dagenham get back to winning ways at home to Grimsby