New supermarket for Barking Town Centre
John Phillips A MULTI-MILLION pound supermarket threatening the supremacy of the Vicarage Field Asda store is planned for Barking Town Centre. The store in North Street would be twice as big as the Asda and run by one of the big four supermarket companies. Morrisons
A MULTI-MILLION pound supermarket threatening the supremacy of the Vicarage Field Asda store is planned for Barking Town Centre.
The store in North Street would be twice as big as the Asda and run by one of the "big four" supermarket companies.
Morrisons has emerged as the most likely candidate after a council source said Sainsbury's might be too upmarket for the town.
Tesco already has a large store on the edge of the town centre in Highbridge Road.
Asda store manager Andrew Baillie, 40, said yesterday (Wednesday): "We would like to be involved in the discussions. We're one of the big four.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 2 Council leader on the borough's future, CPZs and receiving death threats
- 3 Dagenham cat with misshapen eye struggles to find home
- 4 Baby boy died from 'whiplash' injuries caused by shaking, trial hears
- 5 Dagenham woman to face trial on numerous robbery charges
- 6 Boy, 5, dies after 'unexplained' incident off Heathway
- 7 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 8 McMahon proud of excellent Dagenham & Redbridge win over Wrexham
- 9 Teenager charged with GBH after stabbing in Dagenham
- 10 Man pleads not guilty to unlicensed street trading in Dagenham
"We would have thought we would be involved as an integral part of the town."
Vicarage Field shopping centre manager Simon Green acknowledged the store would be a rival.
But he maintained it would not be needed.
He said: "There is a food store on the edge of the town. There is a significant food offer in the town. It doesn't need extending."
The council hopes to generate up to �5million through the sale of the site.
A spokesman said: "The masterplan does not envisage that the store will be an 'express-type' store.
"The council cannot comment at present regarding whether or not negotiations are occurring with any of the retailers mentioned above.
"No contracts have been exchanged to date."
Morrisons was not available for comment.