New young mayor elected for Barking and Dagenham
- Credit: Archant
The new young mayor says that she wants to change Barking and Dagenham “for the better”.
Dagenham Park pupil Pelumi Oyewo said: “I’m just the kind of person that wants to help people and improve things for everyone.”
The 15-year-old, who lives in Becontree, hopes to become a politician when she is older.
Her aims include giving more support to youngsters who are being bullied or abused and increased work experience opportunities.
She thanked her parents, friends and extended family for their support during the election process.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m really happy and excited to have won,” Pelumi added.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 3 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 4 Barking father's car stolen from driveway
- 5 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 6 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 7 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 8 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 9 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 10 Letter: Climate change and the floods