Nicky cooking up his return
FORMER WBO world super-featherweight champ Nicky Cook looks set to return to action for the first time since losing his world title when he faces Scotland s Commonwealth champion Ricky Burns in October. The local boxer has been out of action since losing
FORMER WBO world super-featherweight champ Nicky Cook looks set to return to action for the first time since losing his world title when he faces Scotland's Commonwealth champion Ricky Burns in October.
The local boxer has been out of action since losing his world crown to Puerto Rican challenger Roman Martinez when he was halted in the fourth round in Manchester in March.
It was in the same MEN Arena ring the 29-year-old defeated Scot Alex Arthur to claim the world crown last September.
Now, after receiving treatment for a back injury, he has returned to the gym working under father-trainer Paul Cook.
You may also want to watch:
The fighter, who earlier held the British, Commonwealth and European titles in the featherweight division, will be tested by the 26-year-old Burns.
The stylish boxer from Coatbridge has won his last dozen contests including three defences of the Commonwealth super-featherweight title he won last year.
- 1 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 2 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 5 Barking and Dagenham girls' district suffer heavy defeat to Chelmsford
- 6 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 7 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 8 'Life is hard, why make it harder?': Protesters call for new consultation over parking scheme roll out
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
The clash will be staged at a venue still to be decided in October.