Nothing to do with the looming election...
SOMETIMES it is a curse being a cynical journalist who, it seems, can never see the good in people, without suspecting some ulterior motive. Why do we have to be suspicious when Redbridge Tories, led by leader Cllr Keith Prince, listen to the will of the
SOMETIMES it is a curse being a cynical journalist who, it seems, can never see the good in people, without suspecting some ulterior motive.
Why do we have to be suspicious when Redbridge Tories, led by leader Cllr Keith Prince, "listen to the will of the people" and do a U-turn on the archives cuts?
Surely the looming local elections have nothing to do with the decision - even though all parties will be claiming credit.
I can't imagine the experience of the Labour group, who lost control of the council in the 1990s after being lambasted for threatening to cut funding for the Kenneth More Theatre, had anything to do with it.
You may also want to watch:
Freezing council tax is a real vote-winner too - apart from the fact most councils seem to have done the same.
Anyone who suggests there will be cuts in children's services - no voters there - should go to their room!
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 7 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 8 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 9 Daggers boss McMahon 'very pleased' with Southend United victory
- 10 Sam Ling inspires Dagenham to Southend victory
Taking my cynical head off for a moment, the crux of it is democracy does seem to have run its course with a healthily balanced council enabling voices to be heard and a consensus decision to be made.
It would be far worse if the ruling party dug its heels in and stuck to its guns when making savings. Let's see what happens after May though!