Nouble makes a surprise debut
SATURDAY proved to be an exciting one for West Ham youngster Frank Nouble as he made his Hammers and Premier League debut by coming on as a late substitute. The 17-year-old, who moved across London to sign for the club from Chelsea, was a surprise inclusi
SATURDAY proved to be an exciting one for West Ham youngster Frank Nouble as he made his Hammers and Premier League debut by coming on as a late substitute.
The 17-year-old, who moved across London to sign for the club from Chelsea, was a surprise inclusion on West Ham's threadbare substitute's bench, and he was given the nod to come on in injury time ahead of Zavon Hines.
However, the youngster was almost thwarted in his attempts to make his debut, as with the clock ticking down, the ball refused to go out of play. Eventually he was able to get on the field though, replacing Carlton Cole, and he even managed to touch the ball as he joined his team-mates on defensive duties.
His debut brings to mind one West Ham player who was not quite so lucky in similar circumstances. His attempt to come on as a late substitute for his debut at Old Trafford was thwarted by the final whistle going before he had stepped on the field.
You may also want to watch:
Ironically, the player in question never got as close to playing for the Hammers again and left without having made a senior appearance.
Can you name the unlucky player?
- 1 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 2 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 3 Barking and Dagenham MPs react after 'horrific' stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 4 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 5 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 6 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 7 Thousands of 'illegal cigarettes' seized in Barking and Dagenham raids
- 8 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 9 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week
- 10 Becontree business celebrates 10 years of helping parties go with a swing
*See next weeks Recorder for the answer.