Oklahoma! at Kenneth More
OKLAHOMA!, that perennial musical favourite, is brought to the Kenneth More Theatre, Ilford, next week by Ilford Operatic and Dramatic Society. Directed and choreographed by Kenneth More favourite Owen Smith, this youthful production of Rodgers and Hammer
OKLAHOMA!, that perennial musical favourite, is brought to the Kenneth More Theatre, Ilford, next week by Ilford Operatic and Dramatic Society.
Directed and choreographed by Kenneth More favourite Owen Smith, this youthful production of Rodgers and Hammerstein's best loved musical includes well-known songs Oh, What a Beautiful Morning, Kansas City, Oklahoma, I'm Just a Girl Who Cain't Say No and People will Say We're In Love.
It tells the story of cowboy Curly McLain and his romance with farm girl Laurie Williams.
IODS is celebrating its 90th year. It was created in 1919 after the end of World War One, although it started life as the Ilford Social Club as early as 1890, performing at the Town Hall and the Ilford Hippodrome Theatre.
You may also want to watch:
The newly named group performed both musicals and plays at the Town Hall from 1919 until 1974, interrupted only by World War Two.
In 1975, with a production of Orpheus In The Underworld, the newly-built Kenneth More Theatre, Oakfield Road, became the society's new home.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 7 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 8 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 9 Daggers boss McMahon 'very pleased' with Southend United victory
- 10 Sam Ling inspires Dagenham to Southend victory
Since 1919, IODS has performed two musicals a year and at least three musicals a year since 1992, following the formation of a youth group in 1991.
Oklahoma! runs from Thursday, November 26 to the Saturday.
Tickets are available from the Kenneth More Theatre box office on 020 8553 4466. The show is selling quickly with some performances almost sold out, so be quick.