Olympic training venue in Dagenham reaches milestone
Dagenham’s training venue for the Olympic handball and wheelchair rugby teams has reached its first milestone.
The steelworks were erected at Mayesbrook Park Sports Arena in Lodge Avenue, Dagenham, by construction company Morgan Sindall.
The project features a 5,000 square metre sports hall, a 1,000 square metre gymnasium and changing facilities.
Construction is scheduled to be completed by February 2012 and will be used as a Games time training venue by the official handball and wheelchair rugby teams.
It will be the biggest sports hall in the UK and second largest in Europe.
You may also want to watch:
Peter Jacobs, managing director for Morgan Sindall, says: “Being involved in an Olympic build process is all about leaving a legacy for the local community, which is what Mayesbrook Park Sports Arena will do. It will help to put the area on the global map, as it plays host to some of the world’s leading athletes in 2012.”
Cllr Liam Smith, leader of Barking and Dagenham Council, said: “We’re very proud to have such an outstanding sporting facility being built right in the heart of Barking and Dagenham. It’s an exciting time for sport in the borough with the Olympics just a year away, the new Becontree Heath Leisure centre now open, and the redevelopment of Mayesbrook Arena. Handball is a minority sport in this country, but I’m sure this great new centre will encourage many more people to take up the game and see what it has to offer.”
- 1 Rapid Covid-19 test site for people without symptoms open in Dagenham
- 2 Heritage: How greyhound enthusiast's 1960s betting coup failed
- 3 Second blaze breaks out at White Horse pub in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Padnall Lake, teachers in pandemic, hearing loss and Covid insurance
- 5 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 6 Man recalled to prison after persistent anti-social behaviour in Dagenham cul de sac
- 7 Town hall backs Dagenham freeport bid
- 8 Hundreds of shops found not complying with Covid rules
- 9 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 10 Is the Becontree estate in Barking and Dagenham really a Covid hotspot?
Paul Goodwin, CEO of the British Handball Association whose teams will be training at the facility during the Olympic Games, said: “Mayesbrook Park Sports Arena will provide one of the best handball training facilities in the UK.
“The arena will become synonymous with handball after the Olympic Games and many young people from east London will be able to not only to take up the sport at Mayesbrook but become the next GB handball players.”
The project is being delivered by Ebbsfleet Community Sports Centre Limited and was designed by LRK Associates,