Orient make a point as Swindon are held

FULL TIME Orient 0 Swindon Town 0 HONOURS ended even when two of the division s in-form sides cancelled each other out at Brisbane Road, writes Trevor Davies. Swindon stretched their unbeaten league run to 13 as they look to reach the play-offs, but the

FULL TIME Orient 0 Swindon Town 0

HONOURS ended even when two of the division's in-form sides cancelled each other out at Brisbane Road, writes Trevor Davies.

Swindon stretched their unbeaten league run to 13 as they look to reach the play-offs, but the O's have now lost just one game in their last nine, and are six points clear of the drop zone.

The Brisbane Road pitch passed an inspection on Saturday morning, but playing good football difficult and the two sides ended up cancelling each other out and a draw was just about right.

After the game O's boss Geraint Williams said: "I was delighted with the number of chances we created.

"We have been looking for a 90-minute performance and that's what we got today.

Most Read

"Swindon came here the form side and we came close to beating them."

Williams made two changes to the side who had taken a point at Gillingham on Tuesday night.

With Charlie Daniels picking up an injury, Andrew Cave Brown came into the side for his first start of 2010 and slotted in at let-back.

While top-scorer 11-goal Scott McGleish returned to the starting line-up in place of Jonathan Tehoue, to lead the attack.

After both sides made a tentative start on the wet surface, it was Orient who created the first chance with an excellent move down the left.

Cave-Brown picked out Adam Chambers' run and he cut the ball inside to Jason Demetriou, who raced into the box and saw his shot pushed away by keeper David Lucas.

Swindon hit back and played some neat football without looking dangerous, before the home side went close again when McGleish saw his attempted lob drift over the bar following another smart move.

The visitors almost broke the deadlock on 30 minutes with their first real chance when Alan Sheehan whipped in a free-kick from the left and top-scorer Billy Paynter sent a header within a whisker of Jamie Jones' left-hand post.

As the game started to open up Orient hit back and Ryan Jones went on a wriggling run on 34 minutes and cut the ball back from the right to Demetriou, but his shot from 12 yards went wide and a great opportunity went begging.

Swindon, unbeaten in 12 league games, showed their cutting edge when Simon Ferry and Sheehan combined and the Swindon defender sent a shot just over, and as the pressure started to mount the dangerous Charlie Austin fired in an effort from the edge of the box that flew just past the post.

Orient should have taken the lead two minutes before the break when Aaron Doran, on loan from Blackburn played in a slide-rule pass to Ryan Jarvis but his shot from close range was blocked by keeper Lucas.

Half-time Orient 0 Swindon Town 0

At half-time Orient boss Williams was forced into a change, with Sean Thonton coming on for Adam Chambers.

O's started the second half well and defender Tamika Mkandawire, with seven goals already to his credit this season, sent a header just over the bar as the home side forced a couple of quick corners.

But Swindon hit back started to take control and were almost rewarded when Austin fired a shot inches wide on the hour.

Former O's favourite Craig Easton was thrown into the fray by Swindon Town boss Danny Wilson on 65 minutes when he replaced Ferry.

As the game drew to a close O's went close to breaking the deadlock twice in 60 seconds.

On 78 minutes Demetriou tried to curl an effort into the corner, but the ball drifted wide.

Then Tehoue, who unsettled the visiting defence, found Doran, who played the ball into Demetriou's path, but his shot was cleared for a corner.

Swindon responded and at the other end Danny Ward found space in the Orient penalty area. It needed a cool finish, but he blasted the ball over the bar.

As the game entered stoppage time both sides had chances to win the game.

As Orient broke away Jarvis found Doran, who threaded a ball through to Thornton who raced clear, and as he was about to shot Jonathan Douglas produced a splendid tackle.

While at the other end Paynter saw a long-range effort superbly tipped away and as Swindon finished strongly they had claims for a penalty waved away by referee Craig Pawson when Paynter went over in the area..

Leyton Orient: Jones 7, Cave-Brown 7, Chorley 7, Makandawire 8, Purches 7, Doran 7, Smith 6, Chambers 7 (Thornton 46), Demetriou 7, Jarvis 7, McGleish 6 (Tehoue 67). Subs: Morris, Ashworth, Pires, Mike, Scowcroft.

Swindon Town: Lucas 7, Cuthbert 6, Sheehan 8, Douglas 6, Greer 6, McGovern 7, Morrison 6, Paynter 7, Ward 6 (Ritchie 83 mins), Ferry 6 (Easton 65), Austin 6 (Pericard 72 mins). Subs: Timlin, Smith, Jean-Francois, Marshall.

Referee: Craig Pawson 5.

Attendance: 4,574 (inc 983 Swindon fans)

Bookings: Swindon Sheehan (44 mins foul)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter