Orient take Chelsea ace
ORIENT caretaker manager Kevin Nugent signed Chelsea midfielder Jimmy Smith on loan before the transfer window slammed shut on Monday. While Dean Morgan s loan spell was extended until the end of the season, as the O s made a couple of moves to try and pr
ORIENT caretaker manager Kevin Nugent signed Chelsea midfielder Jimmy Smith on loan before the transfer window slammed shut on Monday.
While Dean Morgan's loan spell was extended until the end of the season, as the O's made a couple of moves to try and preserve their League One status.
They will, of course, be able to enter the loan market again when the window re-opens later this month.
Smith will stay at Brisbane Road until the start of May and comes with an impressive pedigree.
He will go straight into the squad for Saturday's showdown at Tranmere and Nugent said: "He will be a good addition to the squad.
"He has great ability and can play anywhere across the midfield, so his versatility will prove to be an asset."
- 1 Man hospitalised after being found in Mayesbrook Park
- 2 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 3 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 4 Car park murder: Victim's wife tells trial about the last text he sent her
- 5 Revealed: Cause of Dagenham house fire
- 6 Historic fleet of vehicles moving from Dagenham, Ford confirms
- 7 Man run over four times embroiled in row over £40,000, murder trial told
- 8 Ex-soldier launches business to help veterans 'regain their identity'
- 9 Car park murder: 'Distressing' CCTV shows victim being run over four times
- 10 Percentage of unvaccinated hospital staff revealed as mandatory jab deadline looms
Smith, 22, has plenty of Championship experience following loan spells at QPR, Norwich City and Sheffield United, and Brisbane Road will be like home-from-home for the Newham-born player, who has been at Stamford Bridge since the age of nine.
Although he plays in midfield, he may deliver vital goals for the O's.
Scoring has been a major problem for them this season and in 2005-06, Smith emerged as the top scorer for Chelsea's reserve side and he also made his Premier League debut that season in a 1-0 defeat at Newcastle United.
Smith has also won international honours when he was capped by England under-19s and goals are a feature of his game.
He netted six times in 31 matches while he was on loan at Queens Park Rangers, and he also made 21 appearances for Norwich and Sheffield Wednesday during the last two seasons.
Meanwhile, winger Morgan, who has scored twice in the last three games, will also be staying with the O's until the end of the current campaign.
His loan spell was up after Saturday's 1-0 injury-time defeat by Yeovil Town.
Nugent admitted: "We're delighted to have extended Dean's loan.
"The way he has performed in the last couple of weeks have shown what he is capable of and he'll have an important role to play for us over the next few months."
Meanwhile, Orient youngster Solomon Shields has joined Blue Square South side St Albans City, managed by former O's star Steve Castle, on a month's loan.
The 19-year-old midfielder has not appeared for the first team this season and will hope to gain valuable experience.
Nugent explained: "Solomon needs to get some senior games under his belt and a move to St Albans is an ideal opportunity to do just that.