Outdoors adventures launched - in City!
THE ADVENTURE of the great outdoors is being brought to young people in Newham through a charity project. The Outdoors in the City Adventure Club, which gives the borough s kids a chance to take part in activities and exciting expeditions, was launched b
THE ADVENTURE of the great outdoors is being brought to young people in Newham through a charity project.
The Outdoors in the City Adventure Club, which gives the borough's kids a chance to take part in activities and exciting expeditions, was launched by Newham charity Community Links in Freemasons Road in Canning Town.
Kevin Jenkins, co-founder and senior advisor of the project, said: "We have been working with groups since the centre was opened a year ago and wanted to launch a project that gives opportunities for kids to get involved in outdoor activities."
Kids at the centre can try their hand at a wide range of pursuits, including climbing, archery, orienteering, abseiling and mountain biking.
As well as bringing the great outdoors to Newham the project is giving young people the chance to get out of the city on thrilling trips, which could include expeditions to the French Alps and Himalayas in 2011.
For just �1 a week kids will not only be able to use the centre's excellent facilities.
- 1 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
- 2 Council tax rebates totalling £2m remain unclaimed, authority says
- 3 Dagenham fire families receive thousands in donated cash
- 4 London among areas where drought is declared
- 5 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 6 Liz Truss visits Dagenham youth centre on Tory leadership campaign trail
- 7 'An incredible privilege’: Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas on 21 years of service
- 8 ‘It’s like a warzone’: Extent of damage to Ballards Road homes on show following blaze which destroyed 14 houses
- 9 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 10 West Ham 'couldn't get near' City says Moyes
They will also be able to enroll on outdoor award and accreditation schemes. All specialist equipment is provided at the venue, which is run by qualified instructors.
The club runs on Fridays from 3.45 to 5.45pm for eight to 12-year-olds and 6 to 8.30pm for 12 to 18-year-olds.
Anyone interested in signing up for the fun should contact Kevin Jenkins on (020) 7473 9685 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org