Parker is one booking away
WEST HAM midfielder Scott Parker reached nine bookings on Saturday, leaving him just one yellow card away from a two-game ban. The 29-year-old England international may be in the form of his life for the Hammers this season, but he is now walking a fine l
WEST HAM midfielder Scott Parker reached nine bookings on Saturday, leaving him just one yellow card away from a two-game ban.
The 29-year-old England international may be in the form of his life for the Hammers this season, but he is now walking a fine line towards a possible suspension that West Ham could really do without.
Parker was booked for a late tackle on Hull's Egyptian striker Amr Zaki, and boss Gianfranco Zola chose to leave him out of the starting line-up for Old Trafford on Tueday night.
Despite that, Zola was still delighted with his contribution, as well as that of midfield partner Radoslav Kovac.
"Scott is one of my key players," said Zola. "Today he was really good, but I must say that Kovac right now has been massive.
"He is working so hard and he is also helping Scotty's game because he can be released a little bit more to go forward."
- 1 Man in 50s in hospital after Dagenham stabbing
- 2 Barking and Dagenham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 3 Murder charge after man, 60, found fatally injured in Dagenham
- 4 Local 18-year-old filmmaker gears up for ‘ambitious’ first feature-length film
- 5 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 6 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 7 Bleed kit in memory of doorman Ricky Hayden installed outside nightclub
- 8 Gun shots fired in Dagenham
- 9 Summer of Festivals Weekender draws thousands to Parsloes Park
- 10 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
Parker's recent form has been international-class, but Zola feels that he is unlikely to get a call-up anytime soon.
"I think he is a little unlucky because in that position he has got so many competitors, very good ones," he said.
"Plus I believe Fabio Capello is going to go for players he knows.
"But you never know what will happen, as long as he can play at this level, anything can happen.