Patrick sets sail on quest for final glory
BOXERS from three Newham clubs go for glory when the Royal Navy sponsored National Schoolboys Boxing Finals are staged at Goresbrook Leisure Centre, Dagenham as a two-day tournament this weekend. A quartet of West Ham hopes are booked for final action on
BOXERS from three Newham clubs go for glory when the Royal Navy sponsored National Schoolboys' Boxing Finals are staged at Goresbrook Leisure Centre, Dagenham as a two-day tournament this weekend.
A quartet of West Ham hopes are booked for final action on the Sunday programme. Boxing on both days starts at 1.30 pm.
In the opening bout on Sunday, the class one 36kg decider, Peter McGrail (Everton Red Triangle) aims to halt the impressive success march of Hammer Patrick Ellis.
Later in the day in the Class three 46kg final, Hammers talented Tom Beaney looks to continue his bid for glory when faces Tom Ward (Bortley).
In the 50kg decider, powerful Ryan Fillingham from the Bracebridge club aims to upset the ambitions of Alfie Price (West Ham).
Also carrying the Hammers' hopes, Luke Saunders bids for his title triumph in the 54kg showdown with Steven Patterson (Sunderland).
- 1 Dagenham man in court over Zara Aleena murder
- 2 Jailed: Hornchurch man found with weapons in Dagenham
- 3 More than 300 homes finished at Beam Park as council leader visits
- 4 Man taken to hospital after fight reported on Heathway in Dagenham
- 5 Census 2021: What has changed in your borough since 2011?
- 6 Man in critical condition after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 7 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 8 Firefighter retires after cancer diagnosis
- 9 Council U-turn on plan to 'decommission' supported housing scheme
- 10 'A joy to us all': Zara Aleena's family pay tribute after 'sickening' death
Newham's trio of entries Sam Bezzina, Desmond Johnson and Sonny Edwards face their final tests on Saturday.
Classy Edwards launches the Saturday afternoon programme with his first bout meeting in the class one 30kg decider against Scott Rankin (Knowsley Vale).
Desmond Johnson bids for the class two 46kg final on Saturday afternoon when he faces Brian Jackson from the Hard and Fast BC in Barnsley, Yorkshire.
Sam Bezzina's opposition in the class three 48kg showdown is Liam Etheridge from Walsall's Pleck ABC.
A high standard class three 38kg final looks set for Saturday afternoon with Jack Bateson (Burmantofts) aiming to halt the title quest of classy Otua Saba (Peacock).
The 40-bout weekend event at the Ripple Road venue is the climax to a long championship trail and is certain to provide some high standard competition over the two days.
Many of the London Schools' winners, who claimed their titles at Goresbrook in January, have moved through the earlier rounds of the competition and line up against the top youngsters from the North of England semi-finals at Bolton, with the top young boxers looking to highlight their careers by taking home national awards.